Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ripple fisher ???? Reversal
November 23, 2008, 10:58:02 PM
hi,

the lure Comfort Weight for this rod is listed as 120?160g, just wondering if this rod is able to cast & work a craftbait GT3 170g (without hoook) popper comfortably?

greatly appreciate any comment  :)

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: ripple fisher ???? Reversal
November 23, 2008, 11:16:19 PM
Not long now lip song..
Hope you have been lifting some weights! It will be an intense trip!
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 24, 2008, 06:04:55 AM
Lip Song, in a nutshell, a  GT79R will work a Craftbait GT3. A Carpenter TBL711 will work a GT3 as well but it isn't ideal and it won't chug as well as a Carpenter SP78EXH will do. It comes down to what applications you want the rod for. If you looking to work a range of lures, the rod will be a good all rounder. It will also be comfortable to fish with. On the other hand, if your thing is big chuggers and that is what the rod will be used for primarily, you might think about going to a 78PF. You need to be sure though that you get a rod you can handle when fighting a fish.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 03:32:16 AM

thanks brandon, once again for ur advice  :)

i have just brought the GT79R, will be using it for the first time in NC, guess i will find out very soon whether if i am able to handle this rod or not. from my first popping experience in christmas island, don't think i am into big chuggers...yet  ;D

just that now i'm deciding which popper to bring along for this rod. initially thinking was that if this rod is not able to cast/chug a GT3 well, i will bring less of it, and more of GT2 (150g without hooks). how i wish i can bring all, reality is, there is only so much i can pack in for my coming trip

Lip Song, in a nutshell, a  GT79R will work a Craftbait GT3. A Carpenter TBL711 will work a GT3 as well but it isn't ideal and it won't chug as well as a Carpenter SP78EXH will do. It comes down to what applications you want the rod for. If you looking to work a range of lures, the rod will be a good all rounder. It will also be comfortable to fish with. On the other hand, if your thing is big chuggers and that is what the rod will be used for primarily, you might think about going to a 78PF. You need to be sure though that you get a rod you can handle when fighting a fish.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 25, 2008, 07:48:52 AM
weight is the enemy of most anglers going to NC or any other location. NC is very convenient for me because it is direct with Qantas and that means I can get away with 40 to 50kgs!  ;D

If you haven't done much popping before, I'd suggest you focus on GT2s otherwise you'll be wanting a masseur within a day! You don't need dozens of lures, I'd suggest you lkook at something like 10 poppers and 10 stickbaits. If you intend to jig, you're doomed already with your luggage weight  :'(

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 26, 2008, 03:04:42 AM
brandon, i will take ur advice into serious consideration

weight is the enemy of most anglers going to NC or any other location. NC is very convenient for me because it is direct with Qantas and that means I can get away with 40 to 50kgs!  ;D

If you haven't done much popping before, I'd suggest you focus on GT2s otherwise you'll be wanting a masseur within a day! You don't need dozens of lures, I'd suggest you lkook at something like 10 poppers and 10 stickbaits. If you intend to jig, you're doomed already with your luggage weight  :'(

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 03, 2009, 12:15:11 AM
hi brandon,

this rod was chugging pretty OK with the GT3 170grams, during my trip, but the popper wasn't mine to keep....lost it to a petit GT in the end.

thanks for all the advice  :) 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 03, 2009, 08:41:11 AM
The 79R is a good all rounder and it won't break you either so it is a suitable rod for most people. How on earth did you manage to lose it to a petite GT?!   :D

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 03, 2009, 01:08:00 PM
leader snapped when e fish was at boatside, probably due to a mackerel attack previously..... :'(

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 03, 2009, 10:28:10 PM
lip song,what trip are u going on soon??

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2009, 01:24:09 AM
if everything goes as planned, i should be heading to Andaman in Feb  :)

Narc

January 04, 2009, 01:50:21 AM

Forget Andaman, come join me instead

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2009, 01:19:47 PM
HI Gu - do you a charter that might be of interest to any of our members?

Robin Chan

January 12, 2009, 07:35:41 PM

Forget Andaman, come join me instead

Lip Song,

Count down has began.....they calling!!!!! :D Cheers! Rob

Kenny Tan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 19, 2009, 06:26:12 PM
haha . . . they are calling real loud.