Darren Petersen

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Guide to buying a GT rod
June 30, 2012, 07:40:13 AM
Very informative advise. I see the Carpenter would be the better rod but I have access to Smith Rods only so which would be better suited or whats the safer rod to use for the following ( what would you use )

For a General purpose rod for GT's in the 20-30kg range in the Solomon Islands with Stella SW 18000 throwing poppers and stick baits on PE8 or 10 with intermediate experience?

Would the Smith GTK-77BG or the Smith WRC-77 HIIB2 Rocket be the better suited.

Haven't fished for the GT's in the Solomons but looks like some good fish here looking at local fish markets and whats in the water around the reefs.

Thanks for any further advise

Cheers

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 10:51:40 AM
Very informative advise. I see the Carpenter would be the better rod but I have access to Smith Rods only so which would be better suited or whats the safer rod to use for the following ( what would you use )
For a General purpose rod for GT's in the 20-30kg range in the Solomon Islands with Stella SW 18000 throwing poppers and stick baits on PE8 or 10 with intermediate experience?
Would the Smith GTK-77BG or the Smith WRC-77 HIIB2 Rocket be the better suited.
Haven't fished for the GT's in the Solomons but looks like some good fish here looking at local fish markets and whats in the water around the reefs.
Thanks for any further advise
Cheers

Hi Darren,
If you are about to choose between the 2 Smith rods, i suggest you the GTK-77BG based on your target size, i love the rod and it is totally adequate for your target but it is far from rating it as a PE10 rod, i would personally rate the rod as a PE8,
easy to load and great rod for the medium class fish, you won't be sorry.
good luck on your choice :)

Darren Petersen

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 30, 2012, 12:47:55 PM
Thank you very much Sami for the advise.

I take it the Smith WRC-77 HIIB2 would be better suited to larger fish?

Thanks again.

Cheers

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 11:44:27 AM
I have read your guide several times. Its great, but i still cant make my mind up.
I would like to buy one rod, around 8ft that i could use for poppers and stickbaits around 150g....

Coral Viper would be ok for poppers until 140g as i understand...
Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 11:48:09 AM
I have read your guide several times. Its great, but i still cant make my mind up.
I would like to buy one rod, around 8ft that i could use for poppers and stickbaits around 150g....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

FCL Labo 81 EXT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 05:05:13 PM

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Carpenter Discovery Journey 83MH.

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 06:08:47 PM
So what is the main difference between FCL Labo 81 EXT and Carpenter Discovery Journey 83MH. Has anyone used both rods?

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 07:04:19 PM
Price

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 07:47:21 PM
Sorry. Actually my question is difference between coral viper and Carpenter Discovery Journey 83MH...

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 07:54:16 PM
DJ83MH is an all rounder chugger / pencil n stickbait rod while CV79/40RF is more specialized chugger / stickbait rod .

Jon .
Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:46:05 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 08, 2012, 09:10:10 PM
Sorry. Actually my question is difference between coral viper and Carpenter Discovery Journey 83MH...

Apart from 6 inches of length.....  :)

I own both Robert and use both just about equally.

DJ83MH has more power down low and will handle chuggers nicely to a slightly heavier weight than CV79/40. CV79/40 is softer tipped so  is a better stickbait instrument, less useful on chuggers above about 140 gram (although I often stretch mine a touch further than that).

If I have to choose between the two for an all round rod, it would just about be DJ83MH, and if fits your brief being about 8 foot and handling sticks and chuggers around the 150 gram mark nicely.
Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:22:10 AM by Mark Harris

Stuart Kelly

November 13, 2012, 09:14:57 AM
Thanks for the info!! I am about to make my own GT rod this will help me out alot!!

Lou arellano

November 15, 2012, 07:47:30 PM
What is the general opinion on Temple reef rods, I have just purchased a BD100 for throwing stickbaits off the rocks...

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 18, 2012, 03:51:54 PM
Very informative info there,great read guys!

Javed Ansari

November 22, 2012, 01:23:58 AM
hi there can u plz suggest which p8 to p10 rod is gud for large stick baits like gamma 200