Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Aussie reel
February 21, 2010, 08:28:27 AM
A mate asked me about an Aussie spin reel with 30kg of drag, I thought he was talking about an Alvey  ::)
But no......I did some searching on the interweb and found this  :o http://www.tufftackle.com.au/diablosniper10000.html  Has anyone used one?, certainly looks the goods although the retrieve speed is slow.
I will add that I have no commercial interest and am not connected to Tuff Tackle in any way. I simply want to hear feedback, good or bad.
Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:44:30 PM by Chris Young

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aussie reel
February 21, 2010, 08:56:16 AM

I've had a play with one and wasn't impressed, and from memory I think they were around $700??
I think a second hand Stella or Saltiga for the same money would be a better buy.

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 11:53:19 AM
Been tested pretty hard in Fiji the past few months and the reels have held up to some serious GTs to 45kg,big Doggies also,george trinkler has givin them a massive hiding with his new charter buisiness..

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 12:40:26 PM
An Ausfish member and distributor of the reels really pushed them for about twelve Months last year, describing them as good as the two top brand models at half the price, he got hot under the collar at anyone who queried that statement, and said time will prove they are top class. Then in his last post [big spat] on the reel said that he didn't want anyone to contact him over breakdowns and unavailable spare parts and wanted nothing to do with the reel anymore .
The post has now disapeared off the site  ::)
Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:44:12 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 06:38:05 PM
One of our local tackle stores has them in stock... had a play one day, they felt OK in the hand but got no idea what they're like on the water and how long they'll last. For an extra few hundred I'd rather go with a Stella.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 10:20:20 PM
Bun, all I can say is I hope that bugger catches nothing but Happy Moments and is cursed by wind knots for the rest of his life.

This  is a perfect example of something that gets me hot under the collar - where you get wild and completely absurd comments about an unknown product being made by people with a commercial interest in the product. I actually don't mind where an angler makes a claim like that. He just doesn't know better whereas the guy with a commercial interest is being dishonest.

I've had staff in tackle shops telling me that the Captiva and Luares lures are as good as any of the top Japanese lures when the guy knows about as much on GT fishing as he does about quantum physics.

An Ausfish member and distributor of the reels really pushed them for about twelve Months last year, describing them as good as the two top brand models at half the price, he got hot under the collar at anyone who queried that statement, and said time will prove they are top class. Then in his last post [big spat] on the reel said that he didn't want anyone to contact him over breakdowns and unavailable spare parts and wanted nothing to do with the reel anymore .
The post has now disapeared off the site  ::)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 10:39:16 PM
I always get suspicious when a new product makes a claim to be as good as the established market leader yet somehow much cheaper. I always wonder "if they are so clever, why dont they make it better than  the established leader?" It can imply that the savings were done at the expense of innovation or materials. Saltiga and stella have had many years of repeatedly proving and living up to their reputations and fulfilling their service/ warranty promises. whats a reputation worth?

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
I had a go with one of those reels on a charter recently thinking it was a $200 dollar reel, it felt just that! I quickly returned it to where it belonged. Do they really sell for $700? ??? You have got to be kidding!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2010, 10:56:25 PM
Why would you even dream of spending $700 on  some 'unknown' when you can outlay $200 more and get quality with a proven reputation... :o

mmm....there goes my game plan.....I was planning on coming to Elusive with a 'Tuff Tackle' reel...(Okuma as a back up)........an ugly stick rod....Captiva poppers.....and the big secret was a one of those 'Mad keen' fishing shirts...... ???

Pete

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 22, 2010, 03:24:06 AM
stainless gears are too soft - would be mush by the end of the season ...

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 22, 2010, 10:00:31 AM
Speaking of reels,

I am still trying to break 2 Daiwa sealine bulls before moving up to a real reel. Damn things won't break!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2010, 10:05:26 AM
mmm....there goes my game plan.....I was planning on coming to Elusive with a 'Tuff Tackle' reel...(Okuma as a back up)........an ugly stick rod....Captiva poppers.....and the big secret was a one of those 'Mad keen' fishing shirts...... ???
Pete

i laughed out loud. ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2010, 11:23:30 AM
Pete - you're more than welcome to come out to Elusive with the Tufftackle reel or an Okuma.
Okuma spinning reels have truly excelled themselves out there!

Why would you even dream of spending $700 on  some 'unknown' when you can outlay $200 more and get quality with a proven reputation... :o

Pete

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2010, 11:48:45 AM
Pete - you're more than welcome to come out to Elusive with the Tufftackle reel or an Okuma.
Okuma spinning reels have truly excelled themselves out there!

By Mark Berg..... ;D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2010, 11:58:04 AM
yes, we never heard  much from him about how his spinning reels stood up at Wreck Reef!  ;D