Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rod Storage tubes.
December 08, 2008, 08:00:47 AM
Hi,
    What are people using as rod storage tubes/cases for O/S travell.

Has anyone used the "Bazooka" tubes and how did you find them.

Importing a "carmate" case seems out of the question at the mo' as nice as they seem.

I have used a piece of pvc pipe before and had no breakage but something a little less agricultural might be nice and the Bazookas aren't too exy.

I'd appreciate  your thoughts, cheers Darren.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rod Storage tubes.
December 08, 2008, 08:42:06 AM
hi there 

i think fish head got the carmate go and give them a call .

i use plano 4588 Airliner Rod Tube

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 09:24:12 AM
Bazookaz are the best i rekon..Extendable and thisck plastic which is pretty strong so you dont have to woryy about your rods getting crushed

luke bell

December 08, 2008, 06:12:21 PM
Just went up to weipa and took the large bazooka up there with 15 rods in it ranging from popper,jig,plastic and fly and all made it there and back intact so you can't complain about that.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 06:45:54 PM
the only thing with the bazuka (that's how they spell it!) is make sure you use a fair bit of strong tape around the latches - airlines like snapping the latches off.   >:(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 07:22:21 PM
That sounds like good advice Brandon and also sounds like you have had some first hand experience  ::)

How do you rate the carmate for the bucks?

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 07:51:34 PM
Can I fit 6 rods in the smaller standard "bazuka"?

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 07:54:04 PM
Yes, but just be careful of how you pack your rods

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 08:45:57 PM

6 rods into the Bazuka rod case is a very tight fit , as Brock stated .  I usually separate the handles and the rods , picked up a rod tube 900mm long made from 4.5" tube covered with black heavy fabrics and can accomodate 7 handles and in domestic flights within Indonesia , this rod tube can be carried into the cabin .

An Italian based friend followed suit , he lost his Bazuka rod tube with a few of his Carpenter rods during a trip somewhere but still have the handles , his consolation words were ; " at least whoever stole it can't use them rods " !

If one wants a bigger tube to accomodate more rods , better opt on Bazuka Pro which can accomodate more due to much larger diameter tube . Mine can accomodate 2 pcs. each of 20 , 30 , 50 , 80 and 130 lbs. IGFA trolling rods + still some spare space with Unibutt handles separately stored ( can't put curved butts of 80s n 130s anyway ) .

Jon .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 09:23:11 PM
Yes, the airlines managed to snap the latch off my Bazuka on my way back from Vanuatu  >:(
The Carmate is my choice of rod tube. It's comfortable to carry and I can get a stack of rods into it. Unfortunately, it is expensive compared to most other tubes on the market.

That sounds like good advice Brandon and also sounds like you have had some first hand experience  ::)

How do you rate the carmate for the bucks?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

adrien antunes

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 08, 2008, 10:50:30 PM

An Italian based friend followed suit , he lost his Bazuka rod tube with a few of his Carpenter rods during a trip somewhere but still have the handles , his consolation words were ; " at least whoever stole it can't use them rods " !

If something like that happens i'll be throwing poppers with a 100lb handline........unless the poppers go missing as well.

Les Maunder

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 08:18:11 PM
Hi Darren

An interesting topic with many ideas and answers. I have been using a Plano 45102 and homemade PVC tube made from Stormwater grade pipe. I have had damage to both by airlines through rough handling. The big Bazukas are strong but add to your weight tally. Another alternative is a homemade tube but utilising "Sewer" grade 100 mm PVC tube which is quite a bit stronger than Stormwater grade (but again adds to the weight tally).

As Brendon says, taping up the latches with Gaffer tape is essential.

Cheers

Les.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2008, 10:04:30 PM
Lots of great feedback, cheers for that.

It's a worry that so much gear gets damaged. Most of the tubes mentioned are pretty solid and its hard to imagine what must go behind the scenes with the handlers for so much damage to occur. I dread to think.