Ivan Verhage

Fast vs Slow action
August 04, 2007, 10:01:51 PM
Hi Guys

What action would be better for a popper rod rated PE8-12, Progressive or fast? I'm looking to buy my first popper rod and not quite sure which to go for. Currently looking at the Shimano Caranx Deep Monster (PE 8 -12) or Daiwa monster mesh (yet to be released). Any other options you can recommend?

Cheers

Ivan

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fast vs Slow action
August 05, 2007, 12:00:49 AM
Ivan ,

Rod is an extension of your limbs so what suit me may not suit you even we may have the same physique , I suggest you try some of the guys' rods , especially those who have used them extensively in various trips .
I have seen enough first time buyers choosing the wrong rod by over estimating their own prowess and ended up having to buy another rod .

Jon .

Hi Guys

What action would be better for a popper rod rated PE8-12, Progressive or fast? I'm looking to buy my first popper rod and not quite sure which to go for. Currently looking at the Shimano Caranx Deep Monster (PE 8 -12) or Daiwa monster mesh (yet to be released). Any other options you can recommend?

Cheers

Ivan
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 05, 2007, 12:32:40 PM
Whats the specs for Daiwa Monster Mesh ?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2007, 01:04:54 PM
Ivan - don't take Jon's remarks the wrong way because believe me, he'd know. I've seen too many people opting for rods like Wild Violences when they simply did not have the strength or physique to handle the rod. In such cases, the rod is hurting them as much as the fish. There is no point having a rod which you can't use effectively.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ivan Verhage

August 05, 2007, 01:11:43 PM
The specs are on the daiwa web site under saltwater rods www.daiwafishing.com.au

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2007, 02:11:20 PM
Can't judge a rod by specification , must try it in real situation to know the characteristic of a rod .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Ivan Verhage

August 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM
Brandon wouldn't it be better to get the heavier rod because looking at the specs of the komado dragon which is rated up to PE 12 like the deep monster they recomend running a 10kg drag if the rod is at 45 degrees and a 5kg drag when the rod is at 90 degrees. If i was intending on runing 10-12kg of drag wouldn't the heavier rod be more sutable?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 06, 2007, 08:10:38 AM
Ivan, that very much depends on the size of the GTs you're targeting. If you spend most of your GT time fishing for potentially very big fish, then by all means go for the heaviest rod. On the other hand, if you primary target are 15 to 20kg fish with the odd bigger fish thrown it, you may find you're better off with a PE8 rated rod like a Carpenter SP80M or perhaps something like a Keyolhu from Smith.

All of that said, I really do like the Komodo Dragon as it is flexible enough to fish PE8 comfortably and cast light lures but when you need it to, you can also really load it to the max. This will probably make Steve cringe but I regularly push the drag on my reels beyond 15kg (as measured by a Bouz which only goes to 15kg but which does have some error in it) and the Komodo is well capable of handling it.

Conversely, don't look down on the lighter PE8 rated rods. To give you some idea on what these rods can take, I had the drag on my Stella running at around 15kg on the SP80M last week and it is technically rated to about 10kg. Malcolm would have been pretty much the same as me on his PE8 rated TBL711.

For 10 - 12 kg, you're hardly even testing the KD.

Ivan Verhage

August 06, 2007, 04:49:28 PM
Brandon on the exmouth 07 thread you said you said that you looked at the rods in Singapiour.  How does the deep monster and long-cast compare to the komodo dragon?

Thanks
Ivan Verhage

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 06, 2007, 06:28:39 PM
Different class of rod altogether, Ivan. The Komodo Dragon is a beautifully built piece of work with premium components. It has been designed as a premium product and sure looks and feels like one.

The Caranx Kaibatsus are a budget product in comparison and that is reflected in the finish, components etc. That said, it looks to me like it will handle big fish too.

I suppose it's like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Toyota. They will both get you where you want to go. One will feel nicer but will cost you a lot more money. Only you can decide if the cost differential is justifiable

Ivan Verhage

August 23, 2007, 05:30:35 PM
Brandon, could you compare the rod action deep monster to the Komodo Dragon or is it allot stiffer like the carpenter Super Popping 78UHL?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 05:35:10 PM
Ivan - I am sorry but I cannot as I have not fished with the Deep Monster. I have only played around with one in the shop. That said, I sure did not think the Deep Monster felt as stiff or as fast as the SP78-UHL