Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Caledonia, cant wait
May 24, 2011, 03:07:43 PM
Looks like things have fallen into place and i am off to New Caledonia with Ocean Blue fishing advenutres in a couple of weeks.
I have never caught a GT before and from what i have been hearing New cal seems to be the land of Giant ones.
For those of you who have been out chasing the kings with me, what can i expect compared to the kingfish? and what should i be taking with me/

Cheers Mark

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: New Caledonia, cant wait
May 24, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
Hi all, New to the board so go easy  ;)

Sounds like a great trip to look forward to Mark, no doubt you will get onto some scary size GT's. I am yet to catch one of these awesome fish but will be aiming to get a trip sorted in the near future, so let us know how you get on and any advice you pick up along the way.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
May 24, 2011, 09:30:17 PM
Y'know those GT's will pull two kingy's backwards through the water Mark?  And 200 gram poppers aren't as much fun to work all day as a 150 gram stickbait - specially if you are not hooked up all the time (like you are in NZ).

You are not allowed to desert your post in Kiwi land just coz you get you're arms stretched either.

Good luck with the trip Mark - no doubt it will be quite an eye opener.

Scott Cushman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 26, 2011, 08:05:01 PM
Jealous. Yes, please post pics when you return..... maybe you can tell us exactly how much tougher they are than the Kiwi Kings?

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 29, 2011, 03:42:25 PM
Mark,

I am sure you will have great fun and a great time to.  Hopefully when you are there the weather will be good,

I maybe wrong,  but i do strongly believe that i will be right and you will be fine and handle it easily - you should and will not have any problem's at all.

I know someone who is a member hear and a great fisherman to;  He is in New Cal right now.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 29, 2011, 07:42:38 PM
Mark,

I am sure you will have great fun and a great time to.  Hopefully when you are there the weather will be good,

I maybe wrong,  but i do strongly believe that i will be right and you will be fine and handle it easily - you should and will not have any problem's at all.

I know someone who is a member hear and a great fisherman to;  He is in New Cal right now.

Plenty of smokings on 60kg+ fish at time Mark - hope you have little difficulty!  :P

Who would that be Sam?

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 30, 2011, 02:16:11 PM
Stan.

I am hoping to get back there at some stage to New Cal.

seriously (with-out being rude at all or anything),

(I am not saying at all that smoking and or smokings do/do not happen,  i am yet to actually see it happen or being able to put my hand up and say yes-it has happened to me because so far it has not mind you sadly i have only ever done 1 trip.  On my first ever trip to New Cal; my expectation's of it happening on the trip (to me personally) were on a scale between i would say 8 to 10.

did it happen at all - no,     did i lose a lure at all due to a smoking - no. :) :)

with that being said i am not saying at all that (it will and or will not happen to you-Mark) - but two thing's i did say is that (1) - Mark should not and will not have any problem's at all,        and        (2) - I maybe wrong;  but maybe i am not and will not be.

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 30, 2011, 04:52:51 PM
All good, if i get smoked then that means i have hooked a monster and that is what i am there for.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 04, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
Good luck for this week Mark, & the weather looks pretty good!
http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Noumea/forecasts/latest

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
June 07, 2011, 02:25:28 PM
Stan is in the far north fishing for bone fish so i have been told..