Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All  :)

I'm seriously needing to decide in purchasing an overall Stick Bait Pencil/Swimmer and Popping rod, using PE6 with a Daiwa Saltiga 6000 spinning reel fishing out of my boat. Mainly want to use it for yellowfin tuna/albacore tuna using stick/pencil/swimmer baits and poppers with the odd times using it for Yellowtail Kingfish.

Lure weight will be from say 60 - grams - 130 grams. The rod would need to be an all rounder if their is such thing guy's ?.

Would really appreciate specific feedback and model details from members including the site sponsers focusing on models within the Smith's, Hot's or Carpenter range of rods please.

Fishing offshore out of Sydney, NSW Australia.

Thank You & Regards

Leo

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The lower end of your lure weight range may well be a problem. Getting the same rod to load with a 60 gram lures and  130 gram lures with the same line weight is not easy. I use little PE2/3 rods with 60 gram lures and GT rods for 130 grams lures... a world of difference. 

That being said, in the Carpenter range have a look at BLC 84/22 R-Power 1 which has the right spec for you.  Whether it really loads with 60 gram lures I cannot say.

Others with more Kingfish experience might have better suggestions.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May be, Ripple Fisher Big Tuna Japan Special?

Length : 8ft 7inch
Weight : 420g
Lure Weight: 30?140g
Line : PE6?12
But I think it might be a bit heavier than you expected.... And I think it is not for poppers for sure, but so is BLC 84/22, I guess. But I am pretty sure it will cast 60g with PE easily.
Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:05:08 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I am totally intrigued by a rod with a lure weight range of 30 grams to 130 grams. A little plastic minnow weighs about 30 grams and 130 grams is a reasonably sized stickbait.

And PE6 to PE12 is a truly vast range as well.

Has anyone used one of these, particularly at the extremes of the quoted ranges? 

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
This is a new model from Ripple Fisher, made specially for tuna over 100 kg. Soft tip, but powerfull butt. The purpose is to have one rod casting both big and small lures depending what tuna (BFT) prefers at the moment. Testing by Mr. K was casting 48g pencil with PE #12 and 200Lb shockleader. The distance acheived was over 50m.

Top and second quides are #16, so for usage with PE6 he recomends to change them to #12.
Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:03:41 AM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for your input with your suggestions.

Mark - O.K. I've got that Carpenter model listed now and yes I'm intrigued by a small lure weight being used with heavier PE......I'm too very interested with others experience on this.

Dmitrii - Thanks, nice specs and outcomes on the ripple fisher indeed. I'll keep this in mind......

Fellow members and site sponsers, further to what Mark and Dmitrii have suggested is there any other models with I'm wanting to achieve in the Smith or Hot's ranges ?.

Appreciate everyone's input to help me out and so I can decide very soon on my particular model purchase.

Tight Lines !

Regards

Leo       

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey Leo, couldn't drop by last week as work was a bit crazy, was going to pop over with some rods for you to try out yesterday but you weren't in the shop.

If I'm not out tomorrow, I'll drop by with the rods for you to try out.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hiya Thien,

I'm scheduled to be in the shop all week Mon - Fri, no worries look forward too see what you bring along, many thanks.

Looking forward to also keep recieving what others suggest too guy's.

Regards  :)

Leo 

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Leo,

Not a rod available from any site sponsors unfortunately, but the Temple Reef Stealth STK 78HH.....

7'8" length, rated to PE 6, and casting weight 60 to 130 grams....

I've not fished this model, but have its little brother, the Stealth STK 76H which is an unbelieveably awesome rod, built on Smith blanks, very similar top the KGS range....

There is currently one for sale on 360Tuna for $375 USD which is a pretty good deal....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Leo,

im not an authority by any stretch on this topic, but I do target kingfish and SBT and use a Saltiga 80TN rod,

cast : 40-100g
line : pe4-pe6

it does the job very nicely and other members also use this rod on small tuna (under 30kgs) and kingfish. works stickbaits beautifully, chuggers not so much.

cheers

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Leo,

what about the Saltiga SG Tuna 85? specs seems about right for what you want...

SG TUNA 85

• Length (Ft/m) : 8'5"/2.57
     Joint(pcs.) : 2 pcs(Handle Off Set)
     Closed Length(cm) : 186cm
     Weight(g) : 455g
     Top Dia(mm) : 3.0mm
     Butt Dia(mm) : 19.0mm
     Lure/Casting(g) : 40g - 150g
     PE Line(LB) : Max80LB
     Best Drag : 4.5kg - 8.0kg
     Max Drag : 20.0kg
     Type : Spinning

or the BG 85SF which seems quite similar on paper

BIGGAME 85S-F
 Length (Ft/m) : 8'5"/2.57
 Joint(pcs.) : 2 pcs(Handle Off Set)
 Closed Length(cm) : 188cm
 Weight(g) : 480g
 Top Dia(mm) : 2.4mm
 Butt Dia(mm) : 18.4mm
 Lure/Casting(g) : 50g - 160g
 PE Line(LB) : Max80LB
 Type : Spinning

[/list]
Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:37:07 AM by gavin chau

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Consider the MC Works range of rods, I have the 777 and its a great rod 40-110g cast weight mainly stickbait rod but can work small chuggers I have cast the duel slider 140s (60g) with ease using pe6 and upto 105g but that seemed a little heavy. I have landed SBT upto 40kg with ease.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi Guy's  :),

Thanks for all your options, experience suggestions and rod details.

Kyle - Nice rod those MC Works. I saw one similar the other day in the MC range very nice, an option for me to consider for sure.

Gavin/Damian - I was looking into the Daiwa Saltiga range earlier on. Finding it difficult to actually handle one of these models and view it here around Sydney NSW. The 80TN seems nice from what I'm looking for.......if anybody knows what shop around Sydney NSW would carry one for my viewing appreciate the where abouts details please. 

Andre - I did view a Temple Reef Black Devil 100 the other day, not sure if the Temple Reef Stealth STK models are similar. The Black Devil 100 was nice and option to consider.

Mean while I've also being looking around and viewing options and could be narrowing it down to probably 2 rods soon. I'll post my 2 very soon and I'll decide very soon after. 

Just one other rod that I've come about looking into is the Smith WRC-80P/35 model. Has anyone fished with one or owns one, I'll appreciate feedback on this if it's O.K. please guy's.

Tight Lines !

Regards  :)

Leo 

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
leo - you can handle the saltiga bg 85s from global tackle on anzac parade in kensington... not sure if he has the tuna 85 though - but he also has a few carpenters and ripple fishers to compare them with... probably one of the best (non-online) shops to ask about popping/ stickbait gear in sydney

I have a mate who recently bought a smith 80P 35 - its a lot stiffer than the dedicated stickbaiting rods...

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Just one other rod that I've come about looking into is the Smith WRC-80P/35 model. Has anyone fished with one or owns one, I'll appreciate feedback on this if it's O.K. please guy's.

I own an 80p-35, works up to 125 cubera's well. Smith says it suits the baby runboh, which from memory is 76 grams.
Good allround rod and well worth a look, it seems to be very popular in the US. For me it's caught kingfish in NZ and GT's in New Cal and Fiji.  If you are in Sydney and wish to see it in the flesh no worries PM me to arrange.
I am taking it to Vanuatu next week, it will be nice to use it again.

Cheers David
Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:40:44 PM by David Noble