Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fujairah United Arab Emirates
September 09, 2012, 03:10:37 PM
Not quite mainstream popping and jigging but a bit of light tackle and a bit of jigging so thought I would post the report in our sponsored section to add a bit of difference and to show not everything is monster GTs but all sizes count and are fun! This last week Jon Viney and Myself fished in Fujairah with Alex Louw on his boat Lara. Really awesome trip and great fun. We met up at the marina early morning after driving through from GT House and launched the boat.

The aim was to do a little bit of everything from jigging to trolling to light tackle. We headed out to jig some of the wrecks. After a lot of hard work Jon managed to hook up to a good fish on the MC Works 556. After an initially easy fight a nice yellowfin tuna which I believe is the first one of the season came to the boat and then all hell broke loose and Jon had his work cut out for him! But the angler and rod did a fine job and Jon landed a nice 12kg YFT. I managed to have a couple of hits which looked like Aj but never managed to to hook up.

After the sun and heat got up we headed for the tankers to try a bit of trolling and light tackle spinning for Dorado. Alex has an amazing mister system on the boat which spreys a fine spray of fresh water while you fishing, simply fantastic! We actually fished for about 12 hours on the boat because of the system in UAE summer heat!

We got to the first tanker and found no dorado but Jon dropped a jig and managed to raise a couple of fish and then the game was on. We had a fantastic time catching some good sized dorado and rainbow runners on Riptide Plastics and small Hots jigs. I think we must have got about 10 dorado and 8 rainboaw runner. Really great day out and nice to be a guest on someone elses boat just relax and do a bit of fishing!

For more fishing reports and product details check out our FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

Cheers,
Nick
www.oceanacive.com

Launching the boat early morning

Jon into the first YFT of the season on the MC Works 556, awesome rod for this area!

A nice chunky little YFT jigging in 110m of water

Light tackle spinning with a dorry

Nice female dorry on light tackle.

Jon bending on he aerocast

First rainbow runner of the day

Jon hooked up this fish from under the props of the ship!!

Masters of the ocean, still amazed these ships float!

Jon with another dorry

Fishing next to the ships

A nice bull on light tackle, gave me a good run for my money!

Alex in action

Jon in the rainbow runner action again! Great fighting fish!

Jon with a dorado

Finally beat this one, gave a very good fight!

Great pic

Double up! Alex hooked up on the MC Works 556 Conventional

Rainbow runner on jig with a Drift Tune 120gr that we were testing, awesome jig!

I managed a nice rainbow on light tackle

Fighting and landing our own fish we were so busy hooking up fish!

Jon with another nice dorry

Caught on a small plastic

Alex with a nice dorry

Rainbow runners by the dozen!!

Was great to fish the whole day finally as the heat is starting to calm down.
Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:19:24 PM by Amr Kehila

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Fujairah United Arab Emirates
September 09, 2012, 04:53:43 PM
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 09, 2012, 05:00:58 PM
Howzit Peter!

Hope you're well! All good this side, busy running around getting the season up and running, but been having some good fun both in Musandam and Fujairah!

Yup unfortunately hooked into a monster longtail on the lightest rod on the boat! Typical! But was a great fight and I got the fish to the boat twice and the second time the leader broke from the teeth rubbing the leader and only using 30lbs fluro. But was good fun and hopefully get it next time. We dropped another 35-40kg tuna yesterday again on light tackle, so hopefully we can get one on the boat, very impressive fish!

Cheers,
Nick

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 09, 2012, 05:10:09 PM
Thanks Nick - all good this side as well. I'm ready for some new reports from Hallaniyath! When are the first trips planned?

There's always the odd size fish lurking - on 30 lbs gear - ouch! :)

I find this recently:

Looks like it's not an easy one even on PE 8/10.
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 09, 2012, 08:12:30 PM
We are supposed to head down to Hallaniyat early next week but the monsoon is still blowing and the weather not to good. We have all the boats ready and waiting for a monsoon to stop and then we good to go. We start the first trip towards the end of this month so lots of reports will be coming soon. the local crazy commercial fisherman are already running out to catch AJs. the beginning of the season will be insane.

That tuna was an awesome catch and was at the end of the season by some SWI clients. Next time hopefully have a bigger rod or bigger leader.......

Cheers,
Nick