Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Rapala Z-Rap Magnum Xplode
May 12, 2018, 05:53:20 PM
Has anyone tried these new Rapala poppers ?

190mm, 140g

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rapala Z-Rap Magnum Xplode
May 14, 2018, 01:20:21 PM
I'm definitely keen to see how these things rate. At $40-50 I hope they are a good a step up to the Halco Roosta
Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:23:59 PM by Joshua Fifis
There's always a bigger fish!

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 14, 2018, 07:18:53 PM
Me too hope so...a step up from the Halco's. They cast terrible...in my view  :(

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 15, 2018, 02:28:02 AM
Marvin in the local tackle shop showed me some pictures of some xl gts caught recently in Southern Oman on the Rapala popper. They seem to have held up very well.

I agree with the sentiments about the Roosta - good popper for the money but doesn't cast well, particularly in a breeze, and the belly hanger has been known to fail occasionally.

The Rapala is only AED 120, i won't be fishing for a while now summer is here but i will pick one up and have a few chucks with it to compare it with the Halco, and my go to popper the Cubera.
Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 02:34:12 AM by Chris Dennis

Russell Domingo

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 02, 2018, 08:21:57 PM
Hi guys. we fished with the Rapala poppers in Southern Oman and cannot recommend them highly enough. landed some amazing fish and the poppers sat beautifully in some choppy seas. Casting was excellent. You cannot compare their casting ability to the Halcos.. They cast like a dream. definitely part of my tackle bag for all future trips. VMC hooks held up ok i guess.. one hook opened  after landing a couple of fish so an idea to change the hooks if you'd like.. White and black poppers took a beating on this trip.. for their price, you are going to battle to find a better popper in my opinion.

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2018, 02:40:53 AM
I've picked up a black / silver (Convict !) one to have a look at in a bit more detail.

Those VMC hooks weigh just shy of 12g, about the same as an ST66 5/0. The wiring is ever so slightly thicker but not much in it. Not a hook i use these days in this size and certainly not a hook for S Oman.

It will just about take 2 x BKK GT Rex 5/0 (14g)  but probably better with the 4/0 ST76 (13g) as it is quite a compact lure.

I'm looking forward to using it as it will not get shredded by the hooks and waterlogged like my go to Cuberas.

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2018, 08:17:58 AM
I've picked up a black / silver (Convict !) one to have a look at in a bit more detail.

Those VMC hooks weigh just shy of 12g, about the same as an ST66 5/0. The wiring is ever so slightly thicker but not much in it. Not a hook i use these days in this size and certainly not a hook for S Oman.

It will just about take 2 x BKK GT Rex 5/0 (14g)  but probably better with the 4/0 ST76 (13g) as it is quite a compact lure.

I'm looking forward to using it as it will not get shredded by the hooks and waterlogged like my go to Cuberas.

Great information Dennis. It would be great if there was a chart out there for what hooks work for each lure. I'm sure there's a heap of guys out there that know off the top of their head.
There's always a bigger fish!