Garth Welsh

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advise on light tackle spin reel
October 10, 2015, 02:19:26 PM
G'day,
I'm currently looking for a new reel for my light stick bait/pop outfit.
Will be running pe3 (48lb) on a blue sniper but don't have the funds to throw a Stella on it.

Just wondering if anyone has experience/ preferences with the following reels or other suggestions in a similar price range?
I have no idea about the daiwa equivalents and open to any suggestions
new stradic 5000 (fk)
biomaster 5000
Saragossa 5000

Thanks, Garth

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Advise on light tackle spin reel
October 11, 2015, 03:41:36 PM
Any of them really but the new Saragosa would be my pick for PE3 and heavier. Strong reel and good value.

The Stradic is great for lighter applications.

Regards,

Trev   

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
October 11, 2015, 08:27:59 PM
Agree with Trevor, I have 2 Stradic 5000's as a backup to my 5000 Stella matched to a Yamaga 70/3 blue sniper. Never missed a beat and even landed a 30kg G on one.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 12, 2015, 06:49:45 PM
Hey mate,

Another vote for the new Saragossa from me.

Also I have only heard good things about the new Stradic FK's and will be grabbing a couple myself a 1000 for local bass fishing and a 4000 for a snapper set up.

I have used Daiwa Caldia's and TD Sol 2's for a while in sizes 2500,3000 and 4000 without any dramas and they have been put through some serious pain. A few guys I fish with had some dramas with their Caldia's drag but I suspect that was due to poor "home maintenance".

Pretty competitive market at the moment in that range guess if budget wasnt an option we would probably all have Stella's on everything eh.

Cheers,

Lucas.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 04, 2015, 12:22:28 AM
I would wait a short while and save up those $100-150 extra to buy a catalina 4000H or if it should be a shimano a Twinpower SW 6000HG from Digitaka. http://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=12624 Very good prices on this website. It's legit, used it myself before. Otherwise I'd say Saragosa also, but I suspect it's the Blue Sniper 77/3 or 79/3, which imo a physically lighter reel balances better, especially if it's the 77/3. The Saragosa is about 100g heavier than the other reels I think.

Lucas Nixon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 04, 2015, 06:50:44 PM
Agree the Gossa's are a heavier reel but pretty solid.

Looking into a Catalina 5000 for a PE 5 jigging rod.

Never heard of Digitaka before.

Felix is the price shown the price paid? Eg no additional charges, taxes etc?

Cheers,

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 05, 2015, 01:44:54 AM
Stradics will handle almost anything you care to throw at them used them for years as charter reels where they faced tons of abuse and kept going, the biomaster seems like a stradic in a fancy suit to me I wouldn't pay the extra cash for it. The Saragosa is pretty much bullet proof it would be my choice if I was in the market it is slightly heavier but that's because its built strong.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 06, 2015, 12:52:57 PM
Saragosa is strong but a lot heavier than the other options.