May 21, 2018, 05:06:16 PM
How many of you use Barbless hooks when Popping for GT's

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Barbless hooks
May 21, 2018, 05:11:02 PM
I crimp the barbs down of my trebles when GT Popping after an incompetent guide in Cuba tried to lasso a 100lb Lemon Shark round it head while a friend was still attached to it.
Outcome 1 broken rod and a Shark swimming away with a mouthful of Barbed trebles.
You never know when something may happen whilst fishing however careful you are .
the fish may break you off on the reef.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2018, 08:36:47 PM
Gtpopping has always strongly promoted the use of barbkess hooks
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Pados

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 31, 2018, 04:28:19 PM
Yep i only buy barbless where i can now days and crush any barbs i come across, Getting fish back in the water quickly and unharmed is a priority and also removing hook from someones body in a very remote area is way easier when there's no barbs to deal with. We do a lot of remote boat camping so its much safer for the angler and the fish!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2018, 08:48:56 AM
.... and that is exactly the point, Rob. The pricks who refuse to remove their barbs are taking a risk with everyone they fish with, not themselves.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
August 14, 2018, 06:55:42 PM
I use barbless single hooks, Doug. Safer, and better for the fish. Doesn’t change the lure’s action either if you play with hook size and weight. I’ve never missed/lost a fish and thought “that’s cos I’m not using trebles”. Plus, you’ll only drop a fish on a barbless hook if you let the line go slack (which shouldn’t happen). Overall, I see only benefits and no significant costs!
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.