Mark Crowther

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Tackle Requirements Southern Oman
June 27, 2018, 05:33:53 PM
Hi
I have a trip with No Boundaries next April and need to buy all equipment. I have done a bit of GT fishing before but equipment has always been provided, so I just want to make sure I buy the right things.
Any suggestions on how many rods, what reels, terminal tackle, brand of braids swivels hooks etc would be appreciated.
cheers
Mark

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Tackle Requirements Southern Oman
June 28, 2018, 01:26:22 AM
If you do a search you'll find plenty of trip reports from S Oman. They may be a few years old but nothing much has changed. You will need PE10 gear for the GTs.

Ming Choi

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 29, 2018, 02:43:19 PM
There's a great post on Ebb Tide Blog

Although a few years old it gives you a place to start, not much would have changed though.

http://ebbtideadventures.blogspot.com/2014/12/gearing-up-for-your-oman-expedition.html

Tyson Pagura

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
June 30, 2018, 12:40:23 PM
Hi Mark

The link that Ming posted pretty much explains all the gear requirements for Southern Oman.

I was there back in March and my GT kit consisted of:

Ripple Fisher Longcast 82 - dual purpose rod
Ripple Fisher Powerfight 711 - popping rod
FCL Labo MH81 Extreme - stickbait rod

Reels were stellas - x2 18000, x1 14000 with SOM 16000 spool

Braid - Tasline PE10
Leader - YGK 200lbs
Hooks - 7/0 GT recorder,  7/0 BKK GT Rex, 9/0 Shout Kudako
Split rings - Carpenter 350lbs
Swivels - NT 2/0

Also don’t forget to bring a PE3 casting and a jigging outfit for when you’re tired of casting for GT or you’re restricted to inshore due to weather.  Lastly a few miscellaneous things you’ll need are casting gloves, split ring pliers, knot tensioners and a good fighting belt.

I also wouldn’t make the mistake of taking only one GT outfit.  My powerfight blew up on day 2 of the trip while punching out a cast so bring a backup.

Get ready to hide the credit card statements from the missus as you’re about to go down a very expensive rabbit hole ;D

Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:48:23 PM by Tyson Pagura

Mark Crowther

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 01, 2018, 10:14:40 PM
Thanks for replying, I'm sure my wife will be surprised when she opens the credit card statement!

Rob Pados

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 30, 2018, 08:44:29 PM
Hi Mark,

I did the trip last year and got all the good info from Ed and the team after i booked they we run you through all you need to know, The info below is spot on also.....

I took a PE 10, Pe 8 Pe 4 and pe 2 outfits.... only thing i would have done differently is a bit more training although i did chuck the heavy gear all week and survived i could have been in better casting form. But its the things we learn on the way huh!

Enjoy mate trip of a lifetime.