• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Achieving Maximum Casting Distance.
April 08, 2007, 09:04:16 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to start, not only to share some tips amongst us but to provide some useful pointers for newbies or those wanting to improve their cast.

The Cast

Other Tips
  • As with all fishing, the diameter of your line (PE) will have an effect on casting length. A lower PE will cast easier and usually longer than a higher PE.
  • Stretch! maximise your fishing sessin by stretching and using the right technique.
Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:14:09 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Achieving Maximum Casting Distance.
May 22, 2007, 05:10:07 PM
Is this the same action as the surf castors use or similar.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 22, 2007, 06:28:35 PM
Cam - yes, it is very similar to this. When I really want to get it out there, I will actually let the lure enter the water just before I cast. What this does is increase the load on the rod.

This is a really good post as casting is critical to GT fishing. It is no coincidence that the longest casters generally catch the most fish. Of course, the longest casters also lose the most lures too........   :'(   (following the principle that the more fish you hook, the more lures you lose   ;D )

Is this the same action as the surf castors use or similar.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 23, 2007, 05:12:40 AM
Thanks Brandon ill have to practice and practice.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
June 24, 2008, 06:08:30 PM
Are there any animations or DVDs I can look at to practice and improve my technique?. my first Gt trip was my first time casting big fixed spool reels so it was a big learning curve. I got up to around 90m avg cast but the most fishy looking water always seemed to be just beyond my reach ???. The satisfaction of achieving a good pin point cast was almost as much fun as actually hooking up (almost).Much to my shame in the excitement of the moment I occasionally forgot to observe the first rule of casting with a spin reel--- retract the bail arm. ::)Lots of practice required before the next trip.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 24, 2008, 07:17:11 PM
Are there any animations or DVDs I can look at to practice and improve my technique?. my first Gt trip was my first time casting big fixed spool reels so it was a big learning curve. I got up to around 90m avg cast but the most fishy looking water always seemed to be just beyond my reach ???. The satisfaction of achieving a good pin point cast was almost as much fun as actually hooking up (almost).Much to my shame in the excitement of the moment I occasionally forgot to observe the first rule of casting with a spin reel--- retract the bail arm. ::)Lots of practice required before the next trip.

Not outstanding distance but good nonetheless with a 78 rod. Destinations such as Fiji and Maldives call for longer rods with better casting actions due to the distances required to reach fishy water, as you so appropriately pointed out. Just concentrate on a smooth action, whilst still trying to apply maximum power at the right moments.

You should see some casting action in Legends 5 featuring Kozo Okubo - alternatively, we may be able to get some footage up soon.

Be careful with the bail arm and other accidental hang-ups. Rods blowing up aren't that uncommon.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 08:13:32 AM

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 09:20:13 AM
So what is a good distance?  90m average "is ok"??  I find judging distances on water difficult but thats significantly more than what i'd be averaging I reckon (Tcurve GT Special/Stella).  Good excuse to go out and practise some more at the islands I say  :D

There are so many variables that dictate a good cast - anglers ability/technique, rod length, rod action, lure weight, line diameter, wind etc.

Don't think that I am playing down a 90m cast - it is a very good cast, just not as outstanding as you may be able to get with such a rod (with all things being equal). It comes down to refined technique and timing - not something that even I can read prior to fishing and go immediately implement with perfection.

With an 8ft rod and PE6-8 line, I would expect a refined technique to get 90m+ personally.

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 01:00:31 PM
if you are using PE6 and an an 8 foot rod like a SP80M, you should be able to get that out a LONG way!!

Just don't do what Trevor said and that is forget to open the bail arm. The result would be ugly with the best one you could hope for being a lure snapping off and landing 100m away!  :D  The worst would be a broken rod   :'(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 04:09:52 PM
 :o :o :o and just when I thought I had the right gear for the job- .I think I will have to find out what my personal limits are with the rods I've got before looking at another one..... although the Long Reef LR89 LC seems like it might be good.......

Oh Well !!
Practice practice Practice.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 04:18:57 PM
:o :o :o and just when I thought I had the right gear for the job- .I think I will have to find out what my personal limits are with the rods I've got before looking at another one..... although the Long Reef LR89 LC seems like it might be good.......

Oh Well !!
Practice practice Practice.

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 04:55:56 PM
OK I can see how you can store energy in a more parabolic rod and how it might make life a little easier when you've got a big fish on (just like jigging rods such as "Jigging master"). And I can understand the pure pleasure of getting the slingshot effect Travis mentions above, letting all the energy go in a long cast. How does that affect the rod's performance in making a popper work? (I'm not trying to get off topic- just sort out the parameters for choosing a rod to get a cast that suits the situation.)
 :-\

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 06:08:33 PM
I could be wrong here but from what I understand the stiffer rods are better to cast also that they are better suited to popping?

I have found that a shorter length of line out (from the rod tip to the lure) works better for me. Still around the meter mark tho. And I estimate that my best only goes the 70/80m mark.
Maybe a longer drop will improve that.
As travis said, its hard to judge the distance on the water, I have launched poppers at a rocky edge and thought oh thats not gonna make it..... then bang :o one dented lure rolling down the rock face :(

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 07:10:05 PM
I could be wrong here but from what I understand the stiffer rods are better to cast also that they are better suited to popping?

I have found that a shorter length of line out (from the rod tip to the lure) works better for me. Still around the meter mark tho. And I estimate that my best only goes the 70/80m mark.
Maybe a longer drop will improve that.
As travis said, its hard to judge the distance on the water, I have launched poppers at a rocky edge and thought oh thats not gonna make it..... then bang :o one dented lure rolling down the rock face :(

Each to their own, but you will find that a rod with a slower action will generally outcast a faster one as I have explained.

If you find it difficult to judge on water, then practice in a park so that you can get used to judging distances. Water distances can be difficult to gauge but also speaking with my flyfishing hat on now, is something that you need to understand and get at least remotely close.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 07:16:22 PM
OK I can see how you can store energy in a more parabolic rod and how it might make life a little easier when you've got a big fish on (just like jigging rods such as "Jigging master"). And I can understand the pure pleasure of getting the slingshot effect Travis mentions above, letting all the energy go in a long cast. How does that affect the rod's performance in making a popper work? (I'm not trying to get off topic- just sort out the parameters for choosing a rod to get a cast that suits the situation.)
 :-\

I personally prefer faster action rods for a variety of reasons and accept the fact that they are inherently not as good casting tools. I also think you get a more direct transfer of energy to the popper with a faster action, enabling you to get a more powerful bloop! Having said that, you are expending more energy. Nine times out of ten I would be chosing a fast action rod when hunting for monster GTs - personal choice.
Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:18:08 PM by Luke Wyrsta