Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best all round braid for popping
May 05, 2007, 07:55:29 PM
Interested to know what type/brand of braid you guys like to use for popping and why.

For me, I only use two brand/model not because I am necessarily married to the use of these but because I prefer to stick with what has worked for me and I haven't had the fishing time (or the money!) to try alll the other brands out there. The two I use are TF XP and Varivas GT. I have, of late started to use the TF XP more than the Varivas and while some GT fishos out there will consider what I am about to write as almost sacrilegious, it's what I believe based on my experience.

I like TF XP the best all round as I find that it's the best all round performer for me. In particular, I have found the incidence of wind knots has reduced quite significantly in comparison to when I used the Varivas GT. I still use the Varivas GT in the 130lb because it is a finer diameter but that's all. I use TF XP for pretty much all other poundages.

For me, I found the combination of the Varivas in 80lb and to a lesser extent,100lb problematic with the Stella 10000 in particular. The Stella 10000 spool is, in my opinion, the best casting spool out there. That said, with Varivas GT, the line just seemed to come off too easily and while I could cast noticeably further with it than I can with the Saltiga, the wind knots were at times terrifying.

Overall, the best combination for me as been the Dogfight/TF XP combo or the 10000/TF XP combo. The 10000 will cast further but gets a few more wind knots for me. On the other hand, I like to carry some 130lb for Shoalwater type situations and I load this onto a 20000 spool and a Dogfight spool.

The Varivas GT is regarded by many as the best popping line out there but to me, it's a bit too soft and fine. It's great in the 130lb but I don't like it in the lower poundages as I simply get too many wind knots. I acknowledge this could simply be some deficiencies with my technique but I know a number of others who have the same view. Btw - I am paranoid about ensuring that I do not overfill my spool.

I did note that the one who got the most (and worst) wind knots on my last trip was using Varivas GT exclusively. He was casting a mile but every wind knot meant at least 15 minutes out of action.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Best all round braid for popping
May 05, 2007, 10:51:37 PM
Brandon ,

Wind knot happens to ALL braided line and most likely cause is due to overfilling the spool with line , I stop around 2~3mm below the spool lip and in the casting situation , only have a couple of loop of mono leader in the spool . My spools are all filled with Varivas Avani GT from PE5 ~ PE 8 , it is still one of the best PE line in the market , in my opinion .

As for Tuffline XP , it's not the best in quality but it is certainly the best in valued PE line in the market , it tends to be sticky and that is probably why you don't get wind knot but casting distance wise , it's not as good as Varivas Avani GT but I always bring spools of 80 lbs n 100 lbs XP , just incase I need to refill my spools during the multiday trip .

There are other brands but I tend to stick with these 2 brands .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2007, 03:46:29 AM
i use power pro, so far so good.

do u cut off sections in particulary bad wind knot situations? will the jamming of the line on the stripper cause it to fray? cus the force is intense and concentrated only on that short length of line.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 06, 2007, 09:37:26 AM
I use YGK Jigman PE6 70lb and PE8 80lb for Jigging, but I want to try YGK Ultra Jigman or Ultra Castman [same braid but different colouring] PE5 78lb, PE6 86lb and PE8 113lb, has any body used these and what's your thoughts ?.
 I use YGK Nitlon on my 4lb-30lb casting rigs and love the stuff, I think it's the same braid as standard jigman.
 GPB
Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:22:00 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 06, 2007, 10:24:19 AM
YGK Comparisons on the link
Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:26:02 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2007, 02:11:02 PM
I was using some YGK x4 jigman at first but was getting some terrifying wind knots.  I also found it to be very unreliable and would often break under the slightest preasure for no apparent reason.  I may have somehow contributed to this but I haven't experienced it with any other braid. 

I have used Platil hotfibre which is very good, though now I'm using Daiwa Sensor Braid.  Casts well, very strong, reliable and great to use. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2007, 09:46:05 PM
The YGK Pro Hunter is the X4 braid, I only use that in 35lb for 'normal'
 fishing and still with apprehension. :-\
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2007, 11:47:00 PM
Likewise for me, cant beat value for money on the Tuf Line.....I keep my Varivas and other "exxy" lines for jigging.

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2007, 04:24:42 PM
I use Power Pro in 80lb. Have used Izorline and Tufline XP. The Izorline is tough wearing stuff but a bit thicker than the Power Pro as well as being a little expensive.
I must admit the Power Pro leave little room for complaints. I do not get air knots, and it ties well. Abrasion resistance is pretty good and in fact if a GT does find the coral ANY braid will be gone in a second.
Have not used YGK or Varivas but when the Power Pro suits my needs so well I see little reason to.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 10:01:28 AM
I think we are all in agreeance - whether it be performance or price you simply can't beat TufLine XP. Period.

Brandon - i have used 130lb Varivas of a standard 10000 spool - it performed quite well and i wasn't really worried about capacity - that is if you only ever hook-up to GTs and the usual reef gang.

Varivas is good but only a luxury from my POV.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 10:13:14 AM
the only thing I find with 130lb on a 10000 spool is that after a few re-rigs and say a cut off for line damage, you suddenly are well down on your spool. It's not such a big issue for me because of the number of spools I carry but if you've only got one spool you would need to re-spool during the trip.

I find the TF XP great until the 130lb where for some reason, it feels quite waxy to me. I'm not sure what it is. I suppose they never thought some crazy guys on this end of the earth were going to try to cast it!!   :D
If it swims; I want to catch it!