Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two of my rod tubes have failed to stand up to the airline handlers this year. I can't believe how hard they are on them  >:(

As I result, I need to get another one. I was thinking of getting a big Plano Airliner with the wheels as the standard large size Plano tubes can barely manage two popping rods. can anyone suggest any alteernatives and where I can get one locally?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon ,

Check this , a friend is asking me to buy one while I visit San Francisco later in the month .

http://www.rv-inno.com/html_pages/fishing_accessories.html

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Jon - it looks terrific but i don't think it is availale in Australia, is it? I know Randy stocks a really good looking one that looks quite similar to this as well

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
last resort is a stainless steel 3mm tube with pad locks on the ends..... ;D

Otherwise when you check in, get them to put fragile stickers all over it and special instruction to be extra careful. Ive had my jig sticks in standard rod tubes and there's no problem with them so far......."touch wood"  :-\
Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:14:23 PM by hon-su

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've had a good run for a few years and then two trip and two damaged rod tubes. Bloody hell - on my Vanuatu trip, the guys managed to break the clip off completely!

I'l try with the "fragile" and see how I go. Thanks

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Had a rod on Virgin last year to Sydney, at the check in a guy [staff] found a more robust tube than mine and covered it in fragile stickers, I couldn't find it at the Sydney baggage collection until I was shown a fragile pick up desk ;D. It's a pity all airlines don't do that.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
In Perth mine was brought out and placed on the floor next to the luggage collection "belt"  So there are some dedicated people there.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've found the big Plano Airliner at Bluewater but it will probably cost me $50 just to send it over!!

Hal Harvey

We'll do the righty by you Brandon, we love you long time.

If you fill it with rods and lures it'll be much more affordable anyway.

We did the homework on RV-Innos a while back. If you want to help us bring in a 20' container, it works out... otherwise no go.

Neil Griffiths

The freight issue will not be a problem from a reputable tackle store on the east coast, Brandon.
About $10

Neil

Paul Taylor

Guys,

I have had similar issues carting rods up and back to the Gulf.

I solved the problem with lengths of plimbing PVC pipe with a solid cap at one end and the screw inspection cap utilised at the other end.

It is also simple to put a latch and small lock on the screw cap. Whilst it would not stop anyone that seriously wants to get to the rods.

I have made several of these up for different length rods.

Piece of foam in each end stops the rods sliding back and forward and roll rods up in the plastic bubble wrap, have not had one mark on any of them.

They can comfortable carry 4 jig rods, and I place the reels in a Pelican case.

Costs approx $20 per tube, need the PVC glue to make water tight.

Hope this has been of some assistance.

Regards Paul

AustralianAngling

Have had no problems with Flambeau  "Bazuka-Pro" has done some extensive travels.

Have a new type on way from Japan now pics attached.
Many of my Japanese customer have been using this and have had no problems.

jerry dollar

i have used the plano airliner for a while now with no problems. it telescopes easily, locks ok(have to use a long shank TSA lock here) and is big enough to stuff a fair amount of clothes in it to pad the rods. the best thing about it is the wheels on one end. when i load that sucker up, it get awfully heavy to lug around by the handles. just tilt it over and roll it.

Nathan

I have the Bazooka Tube but i lent it to a friend last year when he went on a trip and it got broke by JetStar it cracked right on the end of the case where it opens up!!!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Brandon, did you end up getting the 'Airliner' rod tube,
Greg 'FFF' Burt