Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mick, I've never used a 4588 before but I am familiar with the model.

Just remember that when the manufacturers talk about rod capacity that they are not referring to GT popping rods that have that massive stripper guide. You can half the capacity for GT and jigging spinning rods.

btw - if you start bring the big Plano Airliner onto the floatplane for a Nomad charter, you will be unpopular with the captain. These rod tubes are so big that they will not fit under the seats and have to be placed down the little corridor of the plane. A couple of Airliners will completely block the corridor.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I have been using this http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0032066011580a.shtml for about 10 years now. No problems at all (did I just jinx myself?!). I tape some masking tape at the top and over the latches whenever I check it in. It has been with me on at least 15 flights passing through Singapore, London, Jakarta, Maldives, Hamburg, LAX.....

I like it because I believe that the round shape is still the strongest. Also, it is light. That means less likelihood of excess baggage charges.

Hiya all. :-)
zeck

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The 35102 is only 90mm wide while the 45102 is 110mm, the 4588 is 130mm and the Airliner is 210mm.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I went for a home made 100mm PVC pipe with screw cap on one end, it's pretty tough and has made a few flights between Perth and Nhulunbuy.The last trip I found the glued end cracked so cut it off to fit another screw on cap. I drilled a hole in the edge of the caps for a self tapping screw to stop the caps coming off at the wrong time. It comfortably fits a 7ft rod plus a bit of foam at each end, and some bubble wrap for lengthways padding. 2-3 heavy popping rods would fit OK, but not 5 or 7...
Best,
Sam
something clever and witty !