Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader material for twisted leaders
April 09, 2007, 03:28:09 PM
I went out shopping today to get some more mono leader to make twisted leaders. I have always used Jinkai (don't ask me why - I've used Jinkai for a very long time for all sorts of applications) but looking at the various abrands today, I decided to get the Penn 10X. What attracted me is its stated abrasion resistance. I've been using 100lb to 120lb Jinkai for my twisted leaders but realistically, what I am looking for is something that will be very abrasion resistant.

Anyway, we shall see!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Laurie Banks

Re: Leader material for twisted leaders
April 09, 2007, 03:40:50 PM
Brandon
the 10x is one of the tough ones, another one that does not get the raps that it
deserves for toughness is the surecatch brand trace.(no fancy name but very tough)
Laurie.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 04:10:13 PM
Brandon
the 10x is one of the tough ones, another one that does not get the raps that it
deserves for toughness is the surecatch brand trace.(no fancy name but very tough)
Laurie.

I agree with you there Laurie, particularly about the SureCatch, great stuff it is.

I currently use YGK FC shock leader and Fisherman Super Stealth supple shock leader, both some of the best leader material i have used. Also use Varivas shock leader, that stuff is very expensive but i can't justify it over Fisherman Super Stealth.
Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:14:21 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 04:16:34 PM
Brandon,

How have you found making the twisted leaders since you started to adopt them in your popping routine?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 04:50:35 PM
Brandon,

How have you found making the twisted leaders since you started to adopt them in your popping routine?

I've got them pretty well worked out now, Luke. I dont even use a drill because I like to count how many turns I put into it (and I don't have a drill here in Sydney anyway!). The only thing is I need someone already to help me with bringing the two ends back together. It's really easy and if I have someone around to help me, I can make about dozen very quickly in about twenty minutes. I just tie them off with a half hitch and then can do what I want with them later. I got about forty of them made at at the moment so got a few around!

I only use the Fisherman Super Stealth for FG knots because the brad bites into it so easily. It's too expensive for twisted leaders and I reckon it's probably too soft.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 04:52:24 PM
Brandon
Laurie.

thanks Laurie. I'll make a few twisted leaders up with these and see how they go but if its tough, that's exactly what I am looking for

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 04:55:18 PM
To make the twisted leader are you after a supple thin leader [jinkai] or high abrasive resistant [Penn/Surecatch], and wouldn't the Jinkai type be easier to cast.

Jinkai 100lb  -   .87mm  
 Penn  100lb  - 1.00mm
 Jinkai 150lb  - 1.07mm
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 05:01:50 PM
To make the twisted leader are you after a supple thin leader [jinkai] or high abrasive resistant [Penn/Surecatch], and wouldn't the Jinkai type be easier to cast.

Jinkai 100lb  -   .87mm  
 Penn  100lb  - 1.00mm
 Jinkai 150lb  - 1.07mm

That is indeed a trade off, Greg. I was just looking at the difference myself on the two spools. I actually don't mind the larger diameter as I want abrasion resistance. Not much difference in diameter between 100lb Penn and 120lb Jinkai and the breakng strain isn't that important considering how heavy it is already. As to how much it compromises the casting, I won't know till I use it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 09, 2007, 05:09:54 PM
It's too expensive for twisted leaders and I reckon it's probably too soft.

Have you tried it? It's not bad :P

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2007, 10:38:26 PM
As the twisted leader is used for abrasion resistance can fluorocarbon be used or does it compromise casting to much ?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2007, 10:57:39 PM
whoa, that would be expensive leader material!
Can you get it in 100 - 120lb? I've only seen it up to about 80lb, I think.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 02, 2007, 11:31:11 PM
whoa, that would be expensive leader material!
Can you get it in 100 - 120lb? I've only seen it up to about 80lb, I think.

Hi Brandon ,

Seaguar Big Game Series fluorocarbon leader comes in 95 lbs ( .91 mm dia ) all the way to 504 lbs ( 2.34 mm dia ) and very expensive though !

This leader is very stiff , more for marlin trolling rather than anything else and I use it for " bite " leader
when using stickbait  , comes in 15m coil and cost around US$. 50.- per coil .

Not sure how one can tie a knot with it because it's slippery but with twisty I guess you can do it .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2007, 05:40:19 PM
Jon - at one stage, I tried to use braid to fluorocarbon using a FG knot but it just wouldn't bite. Can anyone recommend a knot to use to connect heavy fluorocarbon to braid?

Hal Harvey

May 03, 2007, 06:10:38 PM
Can you get (fluorocarbon) in 100 - 120lb?

Yes - www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_100&products_id=253 - but even we haven't used it for twisted leaders. Can't see that there would be much advantage.

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 03, 2007, 07:08:11 PM
I've used in twisted leaders and it has problems. The main problem is FC is brittle, and tends to snap where it is stressed or kinked. The "eye" where the leader twists back onto itself "kinks", leading to a weak point.

You are probably better crimping it on as a bite leader than trying to tie it, I tried tying it but its too slippery and stiff.