Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader material for twisted leaders
May 03, 2007, 08:13:41 PM
so is it really worth using for popping purposes?  I could use them in the single strand which I run at the of the twisted but is it worth the expense? It is a lot more expensive than mono. Not so much so that I wouldn't use it if there were clear advantages but I'm interested if anyone thinks it does have a clear advantage.

I suppose it would be easiest to just crimp it on.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 03, 2007, 08:14:36 PM
It works OK with my jigging rig using an albright. When crimping 80lb live bait rigs, I've had shattered/splintered joins where I believe I have over crimped [now use fig 8 crimps], but recon it's tops as a bite leader with extra abrasion, and the light refraction would come in to it when using sub surface stick baits.
 I use Nitlon [YGK] 6-18lb on my light flick sticks with no hassles.

Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:31:02 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 07:43:28 PM
so is it really worth using for popping purposes?  I could use them in the single strand which I run at the of the twisted but is it worth the expense? It is a lot more expensive than mono. Not so much so that I wouldn't use it if there were clear advantages but I'm interested if anyone thinks it does have a clear advantage.

I suppose it would be easiest to just crimp it on.

Not for twisted leaders Brandon - first did mine in FC but there is no real advantage as others have said. I am happy to use a single strand at the end of the twisty - have successfully done so with FC to 150lb attached via uni to uni - it held perfectly. Not sure if larger lb FC will be more difficult to attach this way but haven't needed to use it yet - would imagine it would be harder to tie :'(

Having said all that i haven't used a standard twisty to FC much - twisty with normal single shock leader has been getting a suitable strike rate for me not to care ;D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 17, 2007, 10:06:34 AM
 Made up some twisted leaders with 40lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid Fluorocarbon/Mono bonded line, it works just like mono and has the added advantage of a fluro outer skin as well which stops water absorption and has top abrasion resistance. I might try some 80lb [.87mm], could be the 'best of both worlds' leader material ? ??? :)
 Comes in five colours: Clear/Smoke Purple/ Camo Green/Hi-Vis Yellow/Blue
 The clear is meant to have some of the 'no see' qualities of the fluro as well.

Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:33:31 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

adrien antunes

May 24, 2007, 02:33:05 AM

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 08:04:33 AM
holy smoke- each twisted leader would cost you $20 in assist line alone!!   :o

btw Adrien, are you coming to Bugatti?

adrien antunes

May 24, 2007, 03:05:14 PM
holy smoke- each twisted leader would cost you $20 in assist line alone!!   :o

btw Adrien, are you coming to Bugatti?

Hi Brandon,

a spool is 20m,(3 /4 twisted leaders)Bugatti?????

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 07:43:03 PM
Yes, you inquired of me in April that you were interested in a trip out to Bugatti Reef with Nomad. There are a couple of us from here going at end July/early August. Be great if you can join us.

adrien antunes

May 25, 2007, 02:39:51 AM
Yes, you inquired of me in April that you were interested in a trip out to Bugatti Reef with Nomad. There are a couple of us from here going at end July/early August. Be great if you can join us.

Yes yes, but I cant this summer

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 08:23:44 AM
no worries - keep dropping in from time to time and you'll see what trips we're planning.
For 2008, a number of us here are booked in for Shoalwater in February and Marion reef in May.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2007, 03:39:43 PM
I had nothing to do this weekend in Noosa (family get together) so I made up a few twisted leaders using the Penn 10X. I think I will put this into the the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" bucket. The material is so stiff that it just doesn't feel right. I will still finish these and test them out at Bugatti but they just don't feel nice to me.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2007, 04:39:56 PM
  Brandon,
 I had nothing to do last weekend in Mooloolaba [much wind and rain] so I made up a few twisted leaders using the Penn 10X [100lb] ;). I also thought it was stiff and with little stretch, but that was a trade off for abrasion resistance :-\.
 Compared it with some other similar 1mm leader material, It was much stiffer than 100lb Monoflex and 150lb Jinkai and only marginally better than 150lb Momoi XL [1.28mm hard shelled]. Sounds like good jigging leader to me ;D.
 I won't reconsign mine yet until you try yours at Bugatti.

Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:43:41 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 11, 2007, 06:02:34 PM
Hey Bun have you tried the ANDE leader imagine it would be much like the Penn.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 11, 2007, 06:48:17 PM
 Sure is, the ANDE 80lb is stiffer than than the 100lb Penn, it's nearly as springy as Flurocarbon. :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Paul Taylor

June 11, 2007, 08:11:32 PM
Damon,

I am using 100lb Momoi and I am having trouble with finishing the knot off once ihave come back on the bite.
I am placing a solid ring in the bite and running back up about 12 inches, I was told to use a uni knot but it has got me stuffed.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Paul