Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
100lb tuffline or something else?
November 27, 2012, 04:11:33 PM
Hi guys,

Got a trip planned to Exmouth and would like opinions on what braid to use for my heavier outfits,will be running saltiga 6500s.I was also looking at more casting type braids too.I think tuffline is a 6 strand braid and some of the better quality type braids being 8 strand.
In regards to both these outfits one will be a high speed application for primary stickbaits and the other is a low speed outfit for mainly big poppers but this reel also serves as a jigging reel aswell.

Also will be running a saltiga 5000H on a lighter smith offshore stick with 80lb which will do both smaller poppers and stickbaits too,as a guess this outfit will get the most use.This being my 1st crack up north I am up for any suggestions or ideas.Will also have a couple smaller outfits to cover other options too.Looking to get this trip under my belt and plan more exotic trips in the future,thanks for any input.

regards Adam

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: 100lb tuffline or something else?
November 27, 2012, 04:17:49 PM
Varivas, ygk or jerry brown are all superior casting lines compared to tuffline. A 600m roll of pe8 (112lb approx) will spool 2 6500 size reels. I'm currently using the ygk ultra castman full drag in pe8 and it's a very good line. Hope this helps.
Chris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 04:39:24 PM
I think Tuf-Line XP is OK Adam and it is certainly very good value.

The supple and far more expensive Japanese braids like Varivas and YGK unquestionably cast better, but you pay a lot for that privilege.

My advice would be: if budget is an issue, you won't find better than Tuf-Line XP 100 lbs. If it isn't, then go for a Japanese casting braid.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 04:58:14 PM
It is very much a matter of personal opinion but I much prefer Jerry Brown to TF XP
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 27, 2012, 06:19:50 PM
Thanks for the advice guys,much appreciated.I do have spare spools aswell so I do have the option to mix things up too.Done a heap of jigging trips in the past and pride myself to be prepared for any given situation and treating this trip the same.

In my local tackleshop today there was some American made braid called ATC Salt Alliance Custom Popping braid,had a good profile and was 8 strand too,just new in, spectra and pre stretched according to the labeling,pe-8 was rated to 105lbs,white in colour,looked the goods but not sure on quality.Anyone used this?Always feel better using something that's proven though,thanks again for the feedback,cheers

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 28, 2012, 11:20:13 PM
Im a fan of tuf line xp for most of my fishing applications. its yet to fail me. The fact that big rolls are readily available on ebay at a very affordable price means i use it a lot for types of fishing where i chew through line, such as spinning for tuna off the stones.
However, i do use a Japanese PE braid for my stickbaiting and popping and the casting performance is noticeably better. Currently using YGK and its good. I have previously used JB but Im not entirely impressed with its diameter, although I'll admit it ties great knots and has fantastic abrasion resistance

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
In the lower poundages, I don't think there is any significant casting advantages to the Japanese braids. Once you go beyond about 80lb, TF XP has this really waxy feel to it. The solid spectra in the JB has an element of this but it disappears with use. I don't find the solid spectra to be noticeably thicker diameter wise and I find I get only a very marginal amount more of Varivas GT PE8 onto a spool in comparison to JB 100lb.

Also, make sure you are comparing apples with apples and the best basis for comparison is actual breaking strain, not what claimed.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 11:16:36 AM
I should also make the point that the testing for breaking strain of braid seems to have incredibly huge variations and is at a level where you would question its reliability

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 11:30:16 AM
Sounds good John,may try and mix it up and try different braids on my own spools.I have used tuffline in the lighter sizes up to 50lb and it really has performed well out in the boat and landbased.Sometimes making your own comparisons can be a good way to go,especially when regarding actual ratings like Brandon has said.

I personally have used lots of the saltiga hyper braid on jigging trips and this has performed really well,this also includes casting slugs at bluefin and popping for kings.It casts a mile but they don't make the stuff in bulk spools which is odd.Will be trying a mix of braids when I go on this trip,cheers guys.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 12:51:41 PM
I think Jerry Brown is the best excellent quality budget option if you have lots of spools to fill. I know you can buy 1200m spools but I beleive they also do larger ones as well?

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 01:20:53 PM
I love the Jerry Brown...went with Brandons suggestion a few years back and have been happy with the line ever since.

Slightly off track I shortened leader length on my last trip, to have my FG just outside the stripper and did not get one wind knot the whole trip.

Pete

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 02:12:33 PM
Where is the best place to buy Jerry Brown guys?

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 02:33:20 PM
This place is pretty cheap 2500 yards of 100lb solid for under $350USD

http://www.tackledirect.com/jerry-brown-line-one-non-hollow-spectra-braided-line-2500yds.html

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 05:53:53 PM
Thanks for the link Ben,well priced for sure.Sounds like good advice Peter,nothing worse when the fish are on the chew and you have to deal with a wind knot.  ;D
Had this happen to me this year with a big school of kings boiling around the boat,haha.

Daniel Rybak

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 29, 2012, 09:34:30 PM
Anyone use Daiwa boat braid??

I know  its a jigging braid but I used some for casting on a recent trip and liked it buit dont have much to compare it too. It comes in bulk spools and cheap
Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:36:04 PM by Daniel Rybak