Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
smith offshore GTK-77BG KEYOLHU rod joint issue.
December 14, 2012, 08:38:52 PM
Hi guys,

Picked up my new offshore smith stick today and noticed that where the rod joins into the grip it is way too tight.Its that tight that the pieces don't overlap no where near enough.Have done a search on the forum and read some other guys with similar problems with severe tightness in the rod joint.Sanding the male ferrule was mentioned as a solution but I am unsure.I am able to take it back to where it was purchased but just thought I would get your thoughts,cheers for any feedback.

regards Adam

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
Hi Adam,
That problem is very common among Smith's rods and i don't suggest the sanding part, if it get stuck, leave it in a cold room overnight with the AC and in the morning you should be able to get out, it will get better with use and abuse :)
   Tight lines
      Sami

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Sami,

Had a bit of a play with the rod tonight,seems with a fair effort I can get it to fit better,weather is fairly warm here at the moment so that May not be helping either.May need some use to free up hopefully.Thanks for the tip mate,cheers

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hiya Adam,

Not sure if you've seperated the joins yet..........but when you do try get your self some smith rod ferrule wax and lightly smear around in a few long streaks down the rod part. The rod part should go in better and also come out easier. I suppose any ferrule rod would have some problems in a very tropical climate weather.

Anyway, good luck and tight lines !.

Regards  :)

Leo

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Leo,

Will try to get some ferrule wax from somewhere,it can only help.Are there any other alternatives to the Smith wax,not sure my local shops stocks it,May have to order some from somewhere,cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If you've forced it together Adam, I just hope you can separate it later!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon,

Didn't give it the full Monty yet,haha.I proceeded with caution but pushed it in further than the first time,sounds like a common problem though after what Sami said.May get some wax as previously mentioned.I May take it out on the kings over the next few months and use it on and off to bed in, as long as it is properly sorted before I go to Exmouth in late April,haha,thanks

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hey Adam as Leo said get some Smiths ferrule wax and apply it to the male side of the joint. Then using a hair dryer holding it about 4 cm from the rod apply just enough heat to melt it and then apply heat to the female side foe about 15-20 seconds while constantly moving the dryer around. Dont hold the dryer in one place. Then heat up the male end again just until the wax melts and slide it into the joint. I have done this with the rods and it works well. Just dont force the to together it may take several applications.

Adam Gladwin

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks Ben.   :)