Marnie Fernandez

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Casting Popping
September 22, 2017, 04:41:08 AM
I'm using FG knot to single strand leader. How long should the leader be and when getting ready to cast should the leader be couple of wraps in the spool. Should I be holding the leader with my finger or the braid when getting ready to cast. Basically what I'm asking is when casting should I be casting my FGknot through my guides or should it be outside the tip?

Joshua Fifis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Casting Popping
September 22, 2017, 02:52:39 PM
Definitely cast your FG through your guides. That's basically why you've gone to the effort of tying a slim knot in the first place.
The topic of having some leader on the spool is always open for debate. Have the leader off the spool and your braid wears from you casting finger, have the leader on the spool and you get more slap up through the guides. I think a popular method is to try and have the leader on only half a spool worth, so that you cast with you finger on the leader but you are minimising the wraps around the spool that cause slapping. Other more experienced people may have a different opinion.
There's always a bigger fish!

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
September 25, 2017, 02:37:42 AM
After taking advice from well known local GT anglers such as Nick Bowles and Ed Nicholas i generally use leaders from 1.2 to 1.5m long connected with an FG knot. I've been using the version without the half hitches lately (see the how to video on MB Custom Lures website).
I keep an eye on the braid and change the leader every couple of days fishing. To date i haven't noticed any wear from my casting finger.

Cameron Saron

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
September 25, 2017, 09:04:55 AM
I am by no means an expert, but I prefer to have my finger/glove on the braid and generally like to have my FG or PR knot somewhere between my hand and the first guide. I dont like wrapping the leader on to the spool. I personally think it reduces casting distance.