• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Twisted Leaders: Instructions + Diagrams
August 19, 2007, 01:33:26 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on forming end loops in braid using dacron like in this link? It looks good and saves on tying the 80 turn bimini?

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/spectra_fishing_line.html

I use something similar with braided mono on finer braid but wonder how it would stand up with 80-100lb ?

David,

I use 100lb+ Tufline and only ever splice the braid back into itself to form the loop when using this line (and i pretty much use this for a majority of my popping besides from when i use Varivas) - biminis are only tied if there is a breakage during fishing.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 08:06:59 PM
Just made a twisted leader using 80lb ANDE ,it is definitely a lot easier to make out of the Ande as compared to the Penn 10x,but as Brandon has said the 10x is a lot better for abrasion resistance,80lb is probbely a bit light for big GTs but on rat Kingfish should be fine.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 08:46:00 PM
The softer leaders are so nice to make twisted leaders with but you want hard, abrasion resistant leaders. 80lb will be a bit light on for big GTs especially at Marion.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 09:11:43 PM
The 100lb 10X is as thick as 150lb Jinkai but much harder, I think I'll keep my Jinkai for open water gamefishing :-\.
The 10X and Momoi XL are the hardest mono leader I've come across, the Momoi only comes in 150lb upwards which makes a great bite leader as an alternative to FC. Momoi now have Ultra Hard which comes in 250lb upwards, try twisting that one :o.
 Cam, that Pink Ande is very tough leader too, good for your local area.
Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:15:09 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 09:16:42 PM
Try to get a hold of some Shogun leader material - great stuff that i've only started using lately. Tried it awhile back must've slipped off my radar.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 09:21:15 PM
What pound Shogun leader should one look for [100lb]?
What is the max poundage you can make a twisted leader out of ?
so many questions so few fishing days.
Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:29:19 PM by Luke Wyrsta
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 09:31:31 PM
What pound Shogun leader should one look for [100lb]?
What is the max poundage you can make a twisted leader out of ?
so many questions so few fishing days.

Whatever suits your fishing application and environment Cam - i make them from 100 & 150lb usually.

Max poundage can vary due to different diameters - i go no larger than 150lb (had no need to go larger) but have heard of anglers using 200lb. I don't think it is necessary to go any larger - you will start to find it difficult to tie the actual leader (i suspect) and reduced casting distances.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 10:21:09 PM
No fishing days here Cam, 3 days of wild weather, winds up to 120 kph and 250mm of rain, in summer they call it a Cat 2 Cyclone :o, It's even to uncomfortable to go out to the work/getaway shed and make Twisted leaders, now thats bad :(
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 23, 2007, 10:30:29 PM
i think that when you get to poundages like 100lb+, abrasion resistance is more important than breaking strain. For example, i think 100lb Penn 10X will last longer than Jinkai 150lb in rough country. 150lb is the max I've used but I have seen someone using 200lb. He didn't survive any better than me!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Che Carson

August 25, 2007, 03:34:35 PM
I have used plenty of leader material in making these over the years and by far and away the best I have come across is YGK Galis Castman Absorber in 130lb. Silky smooth and great abrasion resistance.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 25, 2007, 03:43:30 PM
I have used plenty of leader material in making these over the years and by far and away the best I have come across is YGK Galis Castman Absorber in 130lb. Silky smooth and great abrasion resistance.

That was only made available in Australia a short time ago? Looking forward to trying it - thanks Che.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 02:23:41 PM
Just starting out with twisted leaders so forgive the basic question.

When attaching the doubled braid to the loop of the twisted leader, how exactly do you go about this. Are you literally just linking them together with one loop to loop, doing a couple of loops, or a full on cats-paw? If the latter how many loops would you expect to do between 50-80lb braid and twisted 50-60lb?
thanks

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 05:59:09 PM
Hi Sam i put the mono loop through the braid loop and then go with the leader one through and out the left one through and out the right and then through and out the front.
Sounds a bit confusing i no but i got this of a TOPSHOT wind on package ,it is the same way you can connect your windon to a doubble.There are probably other ways to go about it but this seems to work fine for me.Will try to post a pic of the packaging i got this of soon as.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 06:03:33 PM
There's an illustration around somewhere by Che Carson that explains it. I'll post it soon but it should be somewhere in the forum.

1. Thread the twisty loop through the mainline loop.
2. Weave the full twisty around one leg of the mainline loop, say 4 - 8 times (no right or wrong as i understand but 4 holds up for me).
3. Pull tight with adequate lubrication.

Hope that helps.
Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:05:05 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 08:11:51 PM
Che's diagram, top finish to a loop to loop.

Cam, it's even neater than the Pakula one but can't be undone, just go down the one side 5-6 times and it somehow finishes off evenly down both sides of the leader.
Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:16:42 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt