Bashir

Reasons for 130lb braid
May 12, 2008, 06:04:48 PM
I see a lot of talk around the traps of 130lb braid being used for GT fishing.  What is the reason for this?

I see that most people are fishing 10-15kg of drag so fail to see why people aren't just using 80lb and getting better casts?

Is it because the extra thickness of the line gives a bit more security around rough terrain?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reasons for 130lb braid
May 12, 2008, 06:30:28 PM
I see a lot of talk around the traps of 130lb braid being used for GT fishing.  What is the reason for this?

I see that most people are fishing 10-15kg of drag so fail to see why people aren't just using 80lb and getting better casts?

Is it because the extra thickness of the line gives a bit more security around rough terrain?

Hi Bashir,

The main property of using such high breaking strain lines is mainly to do with the overall load and shockload tolerances.

Thicker diameter/higher load tolerance generally makes for a line with better shockload properties (can vary between manufacturer, but generally a line with a higher breaking strain will tolerate a given shockload better than that of a lower breaking strain). Driving off a fish with 15kg+ of drag can easily 'ping' or shock a line into busting - this can be done very easily with 80lb lines.

In times of close combat fish fighting, there are times (albeit short) that drag/pressure can exceed that of 25kgs. Mix surging fish, radical boat operation and fish fighting strategies that can sometimes invovle aggressive thrusting and levering to turn fish, then hopefully you can understand the importance of the line being able to cope with shockload.

One other point is that, braided lines generally suffer a reduction in breaking strain after the formation of knots due to heat build-up. We can generally avoid the problem by using a higher breaking strain line.

You will also see some other advantages such as being able to splice some braided lines. For example, you can splice Tuf Line XP, but it really isn't spliceable until your get to 130lb. The reason for this is that it removes one more knot from the leader setup providing for an almost seamless leadersetup.

So in summary, yes, there can be a reduction in casting distance - but this is also dictated by the rod you are using and your ability as a caster. There are also cutting-edge Japanese line manufacturers that are regularly reducing the diameter to breaking strain ratio - for example, GT SMP PE8 made by Varivas has a line rating of 120lb. To provide some perspective, the PE8 of yesteryear could be considered to break on average around 80lb. Technology is improving so much so quickly that manufacturers are producing extremely advanced lines - it will be only a matter of time before we see a PE8 that has a rating of over 150lb!!!! I would recommend that you refer to a PE diameter line chart to get some perspective on Japanese lines equivalent to the same diameter of your favourite USA/European made braided lines - you'll find that all if not most Japanese braided lines will spike way above an 80lb breaking strain. For example, you might find someone casting a 120lb/PE8 braided japanese line just as far as a 70/80lb common USA braided line (a generalisation but I can already think of one brand where that is the case).

PS: our last GT expedition saw us using a PE12 that has a rating of 170lb :)
Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 06:47:39 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Bashir

May 12, 2008, 07:09:24 PM
Thanks Luke, cleared things up a bit.

I thought it must be something like that.

Does anybody ever get pulled overboard? - 25kg drag is serious stuff! I have seen people get thrown around on standup 50 gear (approx 12kg drag) for marlin with harness and gimbals!

Sounds like a lot of pain fun anyway. ;D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 12, 2008, 07:23:45 PM
Does anybody ever get pulled overboard? - 25kg drag is serious stuff! I have seen people get thrown around on standup 50 gear (approx 12kg drag) for marlin with harness and gimbals!

Not much - just broken reel stems/seats, warped mainshafts, demolished rotors, popped guides, rods and butts snapped in two, poppers broken in half, split rings warped, x10 strong trebles ripped open, guides ripped off rods!!!!!!!

I haven't witnessed it but i'm sure someone would have gone into the drink before! I know i've come close  :P Been on the end of a few very relieving 'bear-hugs' to stop me goin over the rails!!!! With such high drag settings you always come away having smashed your leg, arms or torso into part of the boat or railing!

When are you going to go for your first GT on popper mate? (assuming you are new to the sport)?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2008, 07:26:47 AM
Hi Luke, have you got one, 'quote' "I would recommend that you refer to a PE diameter line chart" as I can't find one, I have to refer to mono equivalent sizes which vary substantially.

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Bashir

May 14, 2008, 10:18:52 PM

Not much - just broken reel stems/seats, warped mainshafts, demolished rotors, popped guides, rods and butts snapped in two, poppers broken in half, split rings warped, x10 strong trebles ripped open, guides ripped off rods!!!!!!!

I haven't witnessed it but i'm sure someone would have gone into the drink before! I know i've come close  :P Been on the end of a few very relieving 'bear-hugs' to stop me goin over the rails!!!! With such high drag settings you always come away having smashed your leg, arms or torso into part of the boat or railing!

When are you going to go for your first GT on popper mate? (assuming you are new to the sport)?
Yes never done any fishing for GTs.  I'm looking at planning a Nomad trip in the near future most probably during 2009.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 15, 2008, 08:21:55 AM
Hi Luke, have you got one, 'quote' "I would recommend that you refer to a PE diameter line chart" as I can't find one, I have to refer to mono equivalent sizes which vary substantially.

I'll post one for you Greg - got it somewhere.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 18, 2008, 10:03:29 AM
To Luke, Brandon and anyone else wanting to comment,

On the new braid topic. I use mostly varivas braids on my gear. One particular point that always concerns me is the braid ratings on Japanese rods in relation to the actual max test  rating of the braid.

So they use ratings PE6 or PE6-8 or PE8-12 on the rod, a couple of years ago the PE rating was roughly equivalent to the rated max test of the braid. The point is now I am loading for example,  Varivas PE8 onto a PE8 rated rod and the braid is now max test 120lb (GT SMP). Am I overloading my rod, in this instance is the particular rod rated to 80lb if it says PE8 on the rod? I wonder if the rod builders are taking this extra load into account. Or are the rod tolerances broad enough now that it doesn't really matter??

Thanks
Andy
Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:19:31 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 18, 2008, 05:29:35 PM
Hi Andy
Simple answer...I don't think you could overload the PE8-12 rods without high-sticking because max drags on the top reels is 27-30kg . You could however break reels :o

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 19, 2008, 10:44:03 PM
Hi Chris,

Good point.

A
Set the ray to GeeT

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 20, 2008, 08:33:25 PM
To Luke, Brandon and anyone else wanting to comment,

On the new braid topic. I use mostly varivas braids on my gear. One particular point that always concerns me is the braid ratings on Japanese rods in relation to the actual max test  rating of the braid.

So they use ratings PE6 or PE6-8 or PE8-12 on the rod, a couple of years ago the PE rating was roughly equivalent to the rated max test of the braid. The point is now I am loading for example,  Varivas PE8 onto a PE8 rated rod and the braid is now max test 120lb (GT SMP). Am I overloading my rod, in this instance is the particular rod rated to 80lb if it says PE8 on the rod? I wonder if the rod builders are taking this extra load into account. Or are the rod tolerances broad enough now that it doesn't really matter??

Thanks
Andy

I don't really care much for the PE rating of rods, however, it gives you an indicative guide on what you can use (ballpark) for the rod. I think what is more important is the max drag/load rating of the rod which I would like to see on more rods (only some brands state this on the rod, which then is usually conservative).