Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Nomad Riptide Hollowcore Casting PE
September 22, 2015, 07:34:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried this apparently newly-released braid and, if so, what you think of it. Looks similar to Jerry Brown, and around the same price point. Comes in 80lb (PE6), 100lb (PE8) and 120lb (PE10) ratings. The information provided by vendors* isn't very detailed - basically only says it's hollow and made of "12 ply" PE...
Curiouser and curiouser...

*Purposely haven't posted any links here as I don't want to step on sponsors' toes.
Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:41:55 PM by Ryan Keith
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Bryan Dietz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nomad Riptide Hollowcore Casting PE
September 22, 2015, 10:41:56 PM
I wonder if nomad actually put this out?

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 22, 2015, 10:45:02 PM
I wonder if nomad actually put this out?
There's definitely an official affiliation with the product. I do wonder how much input they had in the manufacturing process though.

Bryan Dietz

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 22, 2015, 11:12:36 PM
Would like to hear more on this.

Andrew Hurley

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
October 29, 2015, 12:18:41 AM
Hi chaps

used the Hollowcore 100lb and is the first hollow I have used. Prior to this I've been using Allwhite "solid" 100 - 130lb, so probably not the best comparison for you. Primary motivation for using it was to try out twisted leader/bite leader setups like the saltywater tackle system and to this end works well.

Compared casting the hollow vs solid with differing rods, sticks & poppers and only found a marginal difference. This was with twisted leaders. FG set up definitely sees better meterage. I'm guessing but with a inserted mono leader to hollow you'd probably get better casting meterage. Haven't put it under the hammer yet, just plaque by rats. When will I score the big one goddamn it  ???. Used hollowcore primarily around shallow reef scenarios (1>5m depth) and does seem to wear pretty well for braid, has come up well worn with fish attached so that's a bonus.

The only caution and its due to operator error/casting action (also a little weird) is that the line creates knots sporadically either side of the marking at 300m when in flight casting and the plies tend to open up a little when the knotting did occur. So just don't do what I did 1st time around and pack 350m onto a 6500.

Would be good to get a Paulus wrap on it

Cheers

A

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2015, 05:43:54 PM
Thanks for your input, Alex. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a spool of Riptide Hollowcore in PE6. The 400m spool filled my Stella 14000 perfectly, with a bit left over. Beside my "60lb" JB Hollow, it looks and feels very similar. Recently used it on a trip - got flogged over five days' casting and caught some fish to 20kg. Handled well; only noticed a bit of abrasion above the FG (not unexpected, and not vastly different to other brands). Did pop a big fish, but that was a reefing, and an essentially unavoidable one at that. So far, so good, methinks!

PS. Would be interesting to see a Paulus test... thereagain, breaking strain means less than shock loading. Might still flick some to him.