Matt Hempfling

new to the site
June 28, 2007, 01:48:05 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the site and I think it looks great.  I am from New York, where I primarily fish from the surf for Striped Bass.  I'm going to Hawaii (Molokai) to fish for GT's with a guide.  I'll be bringing my own gear so i'm trying to learn quickly what i'm going to need.  I have a 2 piece Lamiglas rod (9ft) that is very strong and light.  It is rated up to 3 1/2 ounces.  I have a Van Staal 250 that is spooled up with 50lb power pro.  My friend is making me some custom plugs special for my trip and I see that split rings are a main concern so I will be using Wolverine split rings.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: new to the site
June 28, 2007, 06:11:46 PM
Hi Matt and welcome to the site. I have little knowledge of the gear you're using as it isn't popular in this part of the world. You may find the Van Staal hard work for popping though as it doesn't have a high gear ratio so you will have to work a little harder.

If the GTs are of a reasonable size (20kg plus) and the area you're fishing is reefy, you may find that you will struggle with 50lb line. Split rings are only one aspect of your terminals but an important one. The other thing is to make sure your hooks are up to it. You won't go too far wrong checking out some of the information which Luke provides on this site.

Alos, remember to crush down your barbs to give the GTs a good chance of getting rid of the lure if they break you off.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 28, 2007, 08:41:15 PM
Keen to know about the Van Staal, the 250 has a ratio of only 4.25:1 with no bail arm.Looking at the catolouge it says it will hold 490yds of 50lb ,im sure you could get 300 meters of 80lb on it.Really interested in the Van Staal reels.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 28, 2007, 09:51:01 PM
Cam - why?!  ??? :(
Don't you have enough reels already? If you get one of these for popping, you'll get fit very quickly   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 28, 2007, 10:18:28 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the site and I think it looks great.  I am from New York, where I primarily fish from the surf for Striped Bass.  I'm going to Hawaii (Molokai) to fish for GT's with a guide.  I'll be bringing my own gear so i'm trying to learn quickly what i'm going to need.  I have a 2 piece Lamiglas rod (9ft) that is very strong and light.  It is rated up to 3 1/2 ounces.  I have a Van Staal 250 that is spooled up with 50lb power pro.  My friend is making me some custom plugs special for my trip and I see that split rings are a main concern so I will be using Wolverine split rings.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site Matt and thanks for the comments about the site.

Lamiglass have been known to make some very good factory rods.

Although not ideal, it's usable. Casting 3.5 ounces is around 100 grams which is actually quite light when referring to heavy popping for GTs. You are using 50lb so you have probably matched what you have quite well in retrospect, and we also have to remember that there always isn't a big fish around the corner.

Regardless of what tackle you are using - when targetting GTs, you can't take shortcuts with any of your equipment. Since you are using what we here would call a relatively 'light' outfit for GTs you don't have to beef up too much (150lb for terminals and say 100lb for shock leader).

As Brandon mentioned, crush your barbs. GT popping is seen very much as catch and release angling - not crushing your barbs or keeping your GTs may not settle well with some members (including myself ;)). But in the end, i hope you will also see what we all have made a life obsession ;D

Check out the main site for more technical and technique related info along with the forum itself. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

I will hopefully be trying to do some popping at Niihau (the forbidden island) in August.

Are you going to fish Molokai with Clay Ching?

Matt Hempfling

June 29, 2007, 12:26:09 AM
Luke...Actually, yes I will be fishing with Clay Ching.  He seems  like a real gentleman.  He has answered all my questions and has been very helpful. 

Luke, like you mentioned, my gear is relatively light compared to the heavy equipment most of you use.  I said the same thing to myself in regards to the fact that the GTs will all not be huge.  I'm not going for any records or anything so if I get snapped off, then the fish has beaten me.  No big deal.  I will crush the barbs.  Many times, when I know there are smaller striped bass around I will crush the barbs as well.  No need to injure a small fish.  I practice catch and release as well due to the fact that my beloved striped bass is under a lot of pressure of over fishing. 

Someone else mentioned that the Van Staal is tough for popping and that is probably true compared to some of the reels such as the Saltiga or Stella.  However, the VS is an absolute beast.  For the fishing that I do mostly the VS is a must.  I often fish Montauk, Long Island which has an extremely rocky coastline so I wade out with my gear and find a rock higher than the water line and perch myself on it.  Many times waves will come in or if i'm lucky a fish will pull me off the rock (depending on how good my footing is).  The VS has a totally sealed drag and can be used when submerged in the salt water.  That's what its  made for. 

Can't wait to catch one of these ANGRY guys!!!!  I love angry fish!!!!

Matt Hempfling

June 29, 2007, 12:37:08 AM
Cam,
The Van Staal is a very special tool for the trade of striped bass fishing.  The best time for the chance for a really big (trophy) striped bass is during a good storm with heavy winds.  That's when they feel comfortable to come into casting range and feed.  Because you have heavy winds, thats were the bailless feature comes in handy.  If your fishing into a 25-30 or heavier head wind that bail can close during your cast and snap your lure off.  I'm comfortable fishing without the bail, actually the bail is strange for me.  This year I built a 10' Ron Arra Lamiglas (nice for light lures) for when i'm fishing the (back bays) quiet water by home. I use a Shimano with a bail on that set up and i'm just getting used to it.  I have older Penn reels such as the 9500SS and the 706Z, which I removed all the bails.  However, I don't trust the Penn's for GT's as they have plastic gears. 
Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:40:17 AM by Matt Hempfling

Matt Hempfling

June 29, 2007, 12:50:43 AM
Luke,
I see that Lamiglas makes a rod that would fit the bill for GT popping, although on the lighter side.

TP8650SP, 8' 6", 2 piece, lure weight 1-6 ounces, 30-65 line weight, Moderate action, $300.00.  That's their TROPIC Pro Jigging and Popping line.  HHHMMMM.  Sounds good for what i'm doing! 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 09, 2007, 07:45:29 PM
Luke,
I see that Lamiglas makes a rod that would fit the bill for GT popping, although on the lighter side.

TP8650SP, 8' 6", 2 piece, lure weight 1-6 ounces, 30-65 line weight, Moderate action, $300.00.  That's their TROPIC Pro Jigging and Popping line.  HHHMMMM.  Sounds good for what i'm doing! 

Hi Matt,

How is your preparation going?

cheers,
Luke