Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Daiwa Dogfight - what is it good for?
May 09, 2007, 08:15:21 PM
I know alot of this is personal opinion but having worked in the trade for several years now and worked on more than my fair share of reels bot servicing and repairing Saltigas are my choice hands down.

I know the drags are in no way comparable to Stellas out of the box,  but that is the only thing Stellas have on Saltigas. IMHO Saltigas are the shizz-nitz. ;D

Cheers,
Che'

We will have to agree to disagree there. Stella is number 1 IMO ;)

Stopped using Saltigas quite a while back and have never regretted it. Should never have bought one in the first place >:(

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 09, 2007, 09:08:56 PM
at least yours didn't break!!!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 11:50:33 AM
The other upgrades Daiwas CRB bearings in the line roller and handles where as the standard models do not run CRBB in those areas.

Saltigas are my choice hands down.
Cheers,
Che'

Che,
I prefer the 'silver' of the GT to the black of the DF or blue of the EXP.

As such, I have a GT + SOM ST6500V11 spool with CTex washers + radiation drag knob + power round knob.  I like the retro look of the straight SOM handle so will add one of these to the set up.

I thought this was all.......now I hear CRBB bearings?  can these be added to the GT?

best regards AWP

PS Brandon the 10000 spool with the narrow lipped profile is the same as the std GT spool, casts equally as well.

PPS I have some nice shots of my rig but file size is too large.....I'll resize & repost pics, very cool

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 12:58:23 PM
sound like you've made a $1000 reel into a $1500 reel, Andrew!!  ;D
It even sounded bloody good - radiation drag knob!!  :D

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 04:59:56 PM

Sounds more dangerous than good... ;D :D

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 05:46:10 PM

Sounds more dangerous than good... ;D :D

Might be dangerous if you put it in your mouth Hon-su  ;D ;D ;D

makes adjusting drag easier.....and adds bling! 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 06:13:49 PM
Andrew - can I ask what the hell it actually is?!   ???
It sounds pretty damn good - I now want one, I think.........

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 06:17:51 PM
Haute Couture , as the French Fasion designers wud call it but from practicallity point I wud rather buy a Varivas PE line than these adds on from Daiwa , mind you everybody is different and I am one who doesn't pay too much attention on fashion .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 06:41:27 PM
Hi Jon,
Thanks for the advise on how to spend my money,  >:(  I already have line.....

Brandon,
It is probably on the low end of priorities (and necessities) but is larger than the standard drag knob and is far easier for larger hands to operate, as such is better than the standard so why not.... And does look good, ;D 

I knew you (Mr aftermarket himself) would appreciate it.......

Anyway.......my question was in relation to the CRBB bearings, anyone know?

AWP

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 06:59:41 PM
Peace Guys. c'mon Jon! It's no different to making your car or your house or your boat or even your golf clubs look pretty! Some people like their fishing equipment to look cute  ;D

I cannot deny that I do like to make my reels look a little different but that's simply so I can identify my outfits from the rack at the back of Nomad's Odyssey! Was that a good excuse?  :D

Where did you get this radiation thingy from? On the CRBBs, no idea but I am absolutely certain that Daiwa already used the corrosion resistant ball bearings, as does Shimano.

After a previous post where I wrote that I only had conventional spools, i've just gone and bought a fancy Yumeya spool for my 10000. now why did I do that?! The last thing I need are more spools!!  ???

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 07:13:18 PM
Andrew / Brandon ,

I am more into features n functions rather than blings , everybody is different and my comments isn't meant as flame , my attitude to Haute Couture is because I have a bit too much listening to that French cultures everyday , my girlfriend works for Christian Dior Boutique and I can't see why peoples are willing to pay so much for the clothing , bag , shoes etc. just because they have CD things on them .

As for CCRB , the Z series of Saltiga has 6 CCRBs while the Blast has only 2 CCRBs , according to Daiwa brochure I have in hand . Now that is something I will pay for and not the cosmetics of the reel . Yes extra spools are necessary , I have 2 extra spools beside the standard one that comes with the reel for all my Stellas .

To differentiate my tackles , a wrap of coloured electrical tape will just do me fine . 

Jon .
Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 07:18:10 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Hal Harvey

May 13, 2007, 07:27:03 PM
The radiation drag knob is in fact very functional. It's so much easier to screw the drag down hard if you have the right size screwdriver to shove through the holes. ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 07:57:45 PM
 'Whhoooo hold up Neddy'!! :o a screw driver cauld bend, a spanner would fit better over the bridge :D ;). 'Must be a Saltiga thing ?!!'
Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 07:59:26 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 08:46:12 PM
if you're thinking of taking up water skiing, this sounds like the way to go!!   ;D

The radiation drag knob is in fact very functional. It's so much easier to screw the drag down hard if you have the right size screwdriver to shove through the holes. ;)

MattV

July 01, 2007, 06:29:45 AM