Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Aussie reel
March 24, 2010, 07:45:19 AM
Simon, call me dumb or what... but if you pulled on the handle, wouldn't the handle unwind itself from the main gear? I'm interested to know/find out what other forces come into play during a pull of the handle as opposed to a push. I would have thought it'd be the same. Could you please explain? Thanks.
AKA: Sunny

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 07:52:29 AM
Hi Simon - it's good to see you on here with these kind of posts.  I've got no doubts the majority of people here would love to see a true aussie product succeed.  Footage, photos (not just fishing, testing as well eg 38kg of smooth drag) and an honest, pro-active approach to development and testing - including the faults and how they were taken into consideration and fixed is how you will gain a following.

It's definitely true what you say about different fisherman having different expectations.  I think you'll find though that the majority of people who splash out on Dogfights and Stellas, which is what the marketing would have us believe your reel is better than, are generally the sort of people who demand silky smooth powerful drags and flawless performance when on the water.  I know the majority of GT fisherman fish the two reels above because when you sit down after being blown away by that fish of a lifetime you know the gear you had gave you the best possible chance of landing that fish - no compromise.  And these reels have had years of tried and true testing landing plenty of monster size fish - this builds brand good will, not words and promises.

Genuinely look forward to following the development of your product.

Simon Ball

March 24, 2010, 12:00:10 PM
Simon, call me dumb or what... but if you pulled on the handle, wouldn't the handle unwind itself from the main gear? I'm interested to know/find out what other forces come into play during a pull of the handle as opposed to a push. I would have thought it'd be the same. Could you please explain? Thanks.

What I mean is some operators pull back on the handle instead of the rod, when pumping.
Apparenlty from what I've been told, by people in the trade, this breaks alot of handles on one particular reel, and bends the drive shaft of another in this category.

It would be a small % of operators that do this, but it's any easy change in design.

Hi Simon - it's good to see you on here with these kind of posts.  I've got no doubts the majority of people here would love to see a true aussie product succeed.  Footage, photos (not just fishing, testing as well eg 38kg of smooth drag) and an honest, pro-active approach to development and testing - including the faults and how they were taken into consideration and fixed is how you will gain a following.

It's definitely true what you say about different fisherman having different expectations.  I think you'll find though that the majority of people who splash out on Dogfights and Stellas, which is what the marketing would have us believe your reel is better than, are generally the sort of people who demand silky smooth powerful drags and flawless performance when on the water.  I know the majority of GT fisherman fish the two reels above because when you sit down after being blown away by that fish of a lifetime you know the gear you had gave you the best possible chance of landing that fish - no compromise.  And these reels have had years of tried and true testing landing plenty of monster size fish - this builds brand good will, not words and promises.

Genuinely look forward to following the development of your product.

Thanks.
Easiest thing to do is contact a charter listed on our site. I don't have much faith in forum info, it does not match the real world info by miles.
Way too much speculation and further deductions made from others speculation.
When my wife starts speculating I just ignore her, until the results speak for themselves.
That's why she's not a good fisherman (fisherperson) Not cunning or pragmatic and no patience. ;)

Jeff eldrin

March 24, 2010, 06:11:12 PM
I received an email from the admin Kong Leong Khoo that I will share with you and answer here. When I signed up I chose NOT to receive emails in my profile settings, but still that person disregarded my privacy and violated the trust I put in this forum when I entered my real email address by sending me an email. Even worse, he is using his free hotmail address which increases the risks of my email address being spammed by the free ad scanners that come with free email like hotmail and gmail. This shows a complete lack of integrity, even before I discuss email contents. Of course I have every right to post the email contents because it was sent to me against my wishes and therefore I have no obligation to keep it confidential, and I hope the admin will have enough courage to let every one read the kind of crap he says in private.

The email

Dear Jeff

I refer to your membership of gtpopping and to advise that the administrators on the forum have decided to delete your membership and to ban you from the forum. In the time, you've been a member, you've made one post on the thread on "Aussie Reel".

In your post, you made a number of claims which could only be described as outlandish. Not unexpectedly, members disputed these claims and thus far, you have failed to respond to substantiate any of those claims. We, the administrators of the forum, can only form the opinion that these claims are not based on fact.

Accordingly, I am writing to you to ask you to show cause on why we should not delete your membership and ban you from the forum. If you wish to make a submission, please respond to this e-mail with the reasons why you should not be banned. You have till 12am, GMT time Friday, 26 March to make a submission. If no submmission is received by that time, we will be proceeding to delete your membership and ban you from the forum.

To begin, at no point during the sign up did the terms and conditions dictated that my or anyone else have to provide any sort of proof to any thing I say. It would have been common sense if I was trashing a product or a charter operator, but I was praising a product, and providing proof is some thing that I could chose to do or not to as I wish. The admin don't have the right to fabricate a rule and decide to cancel my membership or ban me based on that. If that was to be made a rule I will have the right to ask any one who post a report about a fish caught to post proof. And if I am not convinced by the proof I have the right to ask for his account to be canceled and a warning email sent to him even if he said he does not want emails.

Regards why I did not come back or post again. One needs to look at what and how other members reacted. I came back a day later to check and post then found crap that turned me off completely from this place and the members.   

The first post was some one HAN PUAH calling me reckless and being so hostile the admin him self posted immediately after asking him to keep it civil. That person later apologized and admitted to have a scrambled brain (I did not need his confession to know it).

Then some one else Josef Ngan think he is the king of comedy and post that he is running to the shop to buy. ha ha funny

Then some one else shuen fan said I got paid for posting this. He was acting as if I accused him of being a liar which I did not. I said that people who bad mouth the product are. And no one in this thread did this. My reference was to people on other forms who bad mouth the product then refuse to provide evidence. (check fishwrecked and tuna 360 site).

Then Chuen fan came again and posted about nomad pulled off the site and hinted that tufftackle were lying about them and other charter operators listed. What gives him the right to make such unfounded clams before waiting for an explanation which Simon kindly provided in a follow up?

Then Hon Su Chin comes and asks me to meet him and dared me to say my post in person. A physical violence threat by some one who will most likely poop his pants if he ever sees me coming. I was threatened with physical violence using childish manner and again the admin asked him to keep it civil. The same admin who had the balls to send me that email but not to ban the member who made physical violence threats.

And you ask me why I did not care to answer and then try to force me and twist my arm to post proof with this email? You are a very funny group of people.

I was asked to provide a reason why I should not be deleted, and this is not why I post this. I want my account to be deleted. I do not mind and don't want to be a member in this crap hole any more. I posted because I did not want the admin to send me that email then go away thinking that he is a smart man or some thing when in fact he is only a foolish person who twists the arm of a new member and leaves older ones to post all crap they want including girlie physical threats.  That same Hon Su Shin posted that 10 out of 10 people say tufftackle is trash yet no one asked him for proof for that dubious claim.

Simon was correct to say he does not trust web forums. The internet is full of morons who has no better pass time than to post crap and trash products for their own agendas. If by any chance any one after genuine information was readin, the fact remains that tufftackle are as good if not better than shimano and daiwa high end at half the price. But money speaks and Simon, a true engineer and a knowledgeable person does not pay people to publicize his products and stand against reasonably priced competition like shimano and daiwa does. If you don't believe me search the internet for how many saltigas got broken into two pieces at the stem, then you can criticize tufftackle because a tiny number had broken arms due to wrong use and it is a cheap and quick fix unlike the broken stem of the daiwa who does not give you free repair or stand behind the product like tufftackle do.

Ban me now. I am done with this crap.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 06:46:35 PM
Ha ha ha
Reckles???
Comedy???
Physical violence???

All this grief over a reel that is definately not in the league of a Stella or Saltiga!

I read your damning info and all the posts supporting your evidence... you really are pathetic Jeff... Bye...

And Simon...
I don't have much faith in forum info, it does not match the real world info by miles.
I take offence to your BS statement... I am by no means an expert at GT popping, but I call the shots as I see them... and report my results on real world experiences!
I personally know of at least one excellent charter operator(a member of this site) and tuff tackle reels were definately not up to the job!
This is one of the few forums that does contain an incredible amount of factual info... that's why I joined.

Cheers Rob
<*///><

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 07:22:04 PM
Jeff, you could have at least spelt my name right!! Anyway.. Bye! Good luck on more 350kg barrels on your state of the art reels.
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 07:56:08 PM
We were intending to deal with this matter in private and not in the light of day but as Jeff has decided to deal with this issue openly, then we are quite happy to deal with this issue with full transparency.

Luke and myself have both been concerned with the contents of the original post made by Jeff on 11 March. The reasons for this should be obvious. Jeff's claimed captures are beyond the realms of anything we are aware of and considering that this forum, whilst small, comprises most of the premier GT anglers in the world outside of Japan, there is a reasonable level of knowledge of serious angling here.

We have since that time awaited a response that would corroborate his claims. Nothing has been forthcoming which would indicate that there may be some basis for our original concerns. We do not believe that such behavior is consistent with what we want on this forum and today we made a decision that I would write to him asking him to show cause why we should not delete him membership and ban him from this forum. Now, I know of no other forum that would extend this level of courtesy to an errant member. Most of you have seen (and some of you experienced) the extreme behavior of moderators on other forums but I like to think we are somewhat more balanced here.

For Jeff to respond that there are no conditions that requires him to prove anything he claims is somewhat astounding. I trust he is surely not suggesting that forums are available and intended for anyone to sprout anything they like, irrespective of whether the statements are based on fact or not? In any event, that is not what we want here on Gtpopping.com.

I would also point out that notwithstanding Jeff's claim that he revisited the forum a day later, his profile shows otherwise.

As with any other forum, the administrators reserve the right to contact members should that prove necessary from an administration perspective.

In any event, thank you for your response, Jeff. As you have indicated that it is your desire to no longer be a part of this forum, we will wave you goodbye.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 08:00:12 PM
I received an email from the admin Kong Leong Khoo that I will share with you and answer here. When I signed up I chose NOT to receive emails in my profile settings, but still that person disregarded my privacy and violated the trust I put in this forum when I entered my real email address by sending me an email. Even worse, he is using his free hotmail address which increases the risks of my email address being spammed by the free ad scanners that come with free email like hotmail and gmail. This shows a complete lack of integrity, even before I discuss email contents. Of course I have every right to post the email contents because it was sent to me against my wishes and therefore I have no obligation to keep it confidential, and I hope the admin will have enough courage to let every one read the kind of crap he says in private.
To begin, at no point during the sign up did the terms and conditions dictated that my or anyone else have to provide any sort of proof to any thing I say. It would have been common sense if I was trashing a product or a charter operator, but I was praising a product, and providing proof is some thing that I could chose to do or not to as I wish. The admin don't have the right to fabricate a rule and decide to cancel my membership or ban me based on that. If that was to be made a rule I will have the right to ask any one who post a report about a fish caught to post proof. And if I am not convinced by the proof I have the right to ask for his account to be canceled and a warning email sent to him even if he said he does not want emails.
Regards why I did not come back or post again. One needs to look at what and how other members reacted. I came back a day later to check and post then found crap that turned me off completely from this place and the members.   
That is fine. However, your original post was rather contentious and aggressive in my opinion. You left yourself open to this.
The first post was some one HAN PUAH calling me reckless and being so hostile the admin him self posted immediately after asking him to keep it civil. That person later apologized and admitted to have a scrambled brain (I did not need his confession to know it).
Hypocrisy is not a becoming virtue.
Then some one else shuen fan said I got paid for posting this. He was acting as if I accused him of being a liar which I did not. I said that people who bad mouth the product are. And no one in this thread did this. My reference was to people on other forms who bad mouth the product then refuse to provide evidence. (check fishwrecked and tuna 360 site).
People who bad mouth the product are not categorically liars. I think this is a very unfair statement and shows how much integrity your actual input has. I acknowledge you may not have said this in respect to the discussion on GTPopping.com however, it shows some true colour to your views.
Then Chuen fan came again and posted about nomad pulled off the site and hinted that tufftackle were lying about them and other charter operators listed. What gives him the right to make such unfounded clams before waiting for an explanation which Simon kindly provided in a follow up?
Then Hon Su Chin comes and asks me to meet him and dared me to say my post in person. A physical violence threat by some one who will most likely poop his pants if he ever sees me coming. I was threatened with physical violence using childish manner and again the admin asked him to keep it civil. The same admin who had the balls to send me that email but not to ban the member who made physical violence threats.
I think some comments need to be taken in jest. Unfortunately, some comments of a relative outlandish nature without follow-up can create such response. I think you should feel justified that the Administrator was looking out for your best interests.

And you ask me why I did not care to answer and then try to force me and twist my arm to post proof with this email? You are a very funny group of people.
I was asked to provide a reason why I should not be deleted, and this is not why I post this. I want my account to be deleted. I do not mind and don't want to be a member in this crap hole any more. I posted because I did not want the admin to send me that email then go away thinking that he is a smart man or some thing when in fact he is only a foolish person who twists the arm of a new member and leaves older ones to post all crap they want including girlie physical threats.  That same Hon Su Shin posted that 10 out of 10 people say tufftackle is trash yet no one asked him for proof for that dubious claim.
Simon was correct to say he does not trust web forums. The internet is full of morons who has no better pass time than to post crap and trash products for their own agendas.
If by any chance any one after genuine information was readin, the fact remains that tufftackle are as good if not better than shimano and daiwa high end at half the price. But money speaks and Simon, a true engineer and a knowledgeable person does not pay people to publicize his products and stand against reasonably priced competition like shimano and daiwa does. If you don't believe me search the internet for how many saltigas got broken into two pieces at the stem, then you can criticize tufftackle because a tiny number had broken arms due to wrong use and it is a cheap and quick fix unlike the broken stem of the daiwa who does not give you free repair or stand behind the product like tufftackle do.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 08:05:09 PM
Thank you Brandon & Luke, for helping to maintain the integrity of this forum.

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
March 24, 2010, 08:19:27 PM

Well done Brandon & Luke  your diplomatic responses speak volumes for your compassion for this forum

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 25, 2010, 12:00:19 AM
Geez......I thought I had a bad day at the shop dealing with customers complaining about broken rods, busted reels and snapping 150lb braid on 2kg fish.......

Sorry to offend anyone on this forum but I am a fisherman. If I purchase any products, I want to them to do the task Im asking it to do. Sure many reels can do the job that Jeff Eldrin set out to do with Tufftackle products but like any claims that has exceeded the expectation, they need to  be backed up with either physical evidence or other form of media with credibility.

AND if a product is new on the market and have been supplied to various "fisherman" and been used to its limits....expect failures and negative feedback, until all the defects have been "ironed" out, you will continue to have negative feedbacks on them.

At the end of the day......like anything in the world.....everything cost money and......you get what you pay for.....

PS: with my last post.....OF COZ NOT, you'll think Im gonna get into a physical fight over a reel?!?! 

Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:08:29 AM by Hon-Su Chin

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 25, 2010, 12:05:18 AM
Thanks Brendan and Luke for sorting this mess out. Im glad this thread has actually made some headway somewhere and not end in a bad manner.  We shall wait and see the result of the testing of the reels from Steve.

Everyone's here to share their knowledge and gaining more at the same time but like anything, words can taken in some many different context, sometimes a picture will narrow that context significantly so we all know what the answer is.

Right.....time to get outta here and catch some fish.....

Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:17:43 AM by Hon-Su Chin

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 25, 2010, 08:46:27 AM
Brandon, Luke,

As a GT fisho still with L plates on the boat I support your actions.
I come to this site to learn stuff
I don't have any problem with Simon Ball's comments, and as an engineer myself am interested in some of his explanations. In fact I wish Simon all the best and hope he is extremely successful...time will tell.

This site has always been extremely respectful, while still having plenty of fun...time to return to normal programming

Simon Ball

March 26, 2010, 02:52:22 PM
WOW,

I think if everyone looks at specifics on forums they can get a bit entangled in " If it's written it's true"

The way I see it in general is
" I have fans of my products regardless "

And I have non fans, that generally try to offer non- proven failure claims, because they some how are offended that their "team" (brand) is somehow deminished by someones claim they like something else besides their choice of brand.

Each to their own.

What's interesting is whenever good news arrives (real world) bad news arrives on forums, about my products ??

I've busted many BS artists making BS negative claims on my products on forums.

I think more so than anything else.
With the brand debates, it's like football teams, unfortunately for a niche (minority market)
with my products, when someone has something positive to say, it gets slammed by a majority in another team fan base.

For the record in response to a comment about other brands having teams of engineers and decades of technology behind them, that's fine.
Except the best products in the world are often made by the smallest companies, without constraints of internal politics and massive overheads, and while a market is still in it's niche stage, attention to detail is at a high level.
(And before someone accuses me of saying my brand is better than mass produced, I'm Not)
I'm saying "we supply attention to detail, and adapt to any issue very quickly."

It is detremental to your choice of brand if you bully someone who has made another choice of brand.

So while my business, has it's fans, I have enough to sell out of stock before it's even made.
And I'm happy with it, and happy to maintain a level of quality.
So if you are a fan and reading this, don't bother defending something you believe in, just be happy with it.
the World wide internet has about 0.05% impact on sales in a country that is about 2% of the global tackle market. (who gives a ####)

Cheers
Simon

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 26, 2010, 04:01:56 PM
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=682589

That is a very interesting thread where Simon adds a lot more detail than provided here that I stumbled across while googling.  It's sheds a bit more light on the situation.  With my impartiality goggles strapped on i've personally started to form a different opinion than I had when this thread started. 

One interesting thing which did start me thinking way back when this thread started was how Chris's Kongs were recently copied by a Chinese company - everyone was very quick to slam the Chinese fraudsters.  However as soon as the AjiKing reel was shown it was assumed that TuffTackle were the fraudsters and that the chinese company was legit.  There's a lesson in that for both sides I reckon. 

I've busted many BS artists making BS negative claims on my products on forums.

If anything Simon I think it's the BS artists that make BS positive claims on your products that are you doing you the most damage, in my opinion it's what kicked off this little melee  ???

Please keep posting as updates come to hand, I for one am interested to see the development.