Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
weaknesss in bimimi doubles
May 07, 2007, 07:47:56 AM
I've read of late that the main area of weakness in a bimimi is the point where you reverse the windings. What is it that causes the weakness? Should one reverse the winding tight or should it be relatively loose?  ???

I think I've  had one go on me at this point and that was with the fish almost in the boat when I saw the line and I think it was at this point.

Anyone had problems with this?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: weaknesss in bimimi doubles
May 07, 2007, 07:06:51 PM
no you dont want it loose otherwise it'll slip or dig into each other. Best is to lubricate the twist before you pull it tight for the reverse....

get it??..... ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2007, 08:09:23 PM
I'm glad you wrote that because I don't really know how I'd do it loose. I reverse the twist by spreading the loop. How do you lubircate the twists?

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2007, 11:41:10 PM
in your mouth but do it before you pull the twist tight together.....that way when you pull it tight there's no friction.   Ie. 40-50 turns, lubricate then put it on your foot/feet.
I do my reverse twist abit apart half  way down then  close together for the rest, then half hitches and the finishing.....

You'll find more than 90% of the time it breaks about 5cm from the knot without lubrication.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 08, 2007, 07:55:56 AM
thanks Hon-Su, I'll try that.

Tell me, I've noticed a few people doing the bimimi as you suggested where they do the twists with some spread in the middle before getting them close together asgian at the end. What is the advanatge or objective of that?

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2007, 09:38:34 AM
I always thought, in an event that if the knot slip, there's gap on the twist for it to move and tighten down more, so "theoretically" the knot should come undone......

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 13, 2007, 09:56:22 AM
Tight is best Brandon. I make sure i am 100% square when forming the first twists. Don't put on too much pressure but make sure the twists are square, don't overlap and have no gaps and you should be fine. I find it is only possible to do around 20 twists with the desired pressure i use then i do X amount of twists by hand. Works well. Have tested intentionally trying to stuff up the bimini by doing the opposite of what i have written and it always seems to break at that point.