Neil Griffiths

Doubles, what tests the best.
May 21, 2007, 06:51:58 PM
Just a quick post to update on what I've been mucking around with lately.
Is there a better, easier double than bimini? In short not yet.

Plaits are quite easy to tie very tightly when practiced a bit, but a well tied bimini beat every one of them, not to mention the time difference.

Splices didn't make the grade either, although I have not tried all possible permutations yet, and the time factor is laughable. Still I'll try a few other styles to see if they perform better.

Doubled bimini was the only knot to take a game off the standard bimini. This is what we tied to achieve more bulk in our loop to loop connections when attaching fly lines to gelspun backing. It is tied by simply doubling the line required to tie standard knot and proceeding as if a single strand of line is being used. The rizzuto is tied with two strands and there is a single strand remaining to be rizzutoed to the standing part of the line. It is a little bit bulky but smaller than any braid to leader knots so would probably be ok.
Will play around further and keep posting.

Neil

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Doubles, what tests the best.
May 21, 2007, 07:05:53 PM
Cheers Neil..keep the info coming...

Whats the best way to test your knot after tieing it ?

I test some out by connecting to scales and having my missus walk away till something breaks..or should a sharp pull be used as well to test the impact of a hard hit?

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 07:08:55 PM
If nothing breakes you might lose your mssus!! :o ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 08:50:49 PM
Neil, did your splices break under the bimini?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 21, 2007, 09:56:43 PM
I have used 130lb hollowcore TufLine spliced back onto itself and found that it worked very well. No breakages/slippages and didn't have to adjust anything for a whole 7 days fishing when i was testing it - resisted many GTs from 30 - 50kg with ease.

As Neil mentioned, it is time consuming - will definately be doing it for next time though.
Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:59:17 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Neil Griffiths

May 24, 2007, 05:05:48 PM
Hi all

The test procedure is simple, a one on one test, two knots at each end of line and see which one fails. Obviously this will not measure breaking strain, but as the knot strength of a bimini has already been established it is a fair test of what is strongest. The only way to accurately test breaking strain is to use a load cell, an electronic force gauge. These are expensive things so at this stage I'm not worried about how much, just what wins over another.

Everything breaks at the knot or join, be it splice or double. This is the way it is with the knots we are using at present and it's not a problem if it's close to the unknotted strength.

Neil

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 24, 2007, 08:42:15 PM
Hey Neil have you tested the PR knot thet Chris W has posted would be keen to here how it stacks up.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER