• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Low Speed VS. High Speed
May 24, 2007, 11:16:16 PM
Stella 20000 47" / 119cm.   Cap 460yds / 20lb
Stella 10000 41" / 104cm.   Cap 220yds / 20lb
Stella   8000 40" / 101cm.   Cap 185yds / 20lb

So many fish and so many ways to catch them, and every way needs its own reel, see it's really quite simple Jay, 'YOU NEED BOTH'. ;)

Cam, I year to Marion, but who's counting. ::)

Thanks guys.

After reading your advice it seems I will be saving for a high speed reel (either Stella 10k or Salty 6000GT) to compliment my 20000FA I already got, rather than ditching one for the other.

Might be a bit tricky while I'm saving for my Rowleys trip but I'll manage =)

Can never have too many reels & a second GT combo would be handy  ;)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 07:40:59 AM
I witnessed in the early 80's guys [I couldn't call them fisherman] trying to catch 'BIG' GTs off the Urangan Pier at Hervey Bay ;D. They used telecom rope tied to the wooden rail at one end and a big torpedo swivel to about 2m of clothes line wire that attached to a 12/0 hook at the other ::). They used large Puffer fish as live bait and when the GTs smashed the bait it was hook up or most often, GONE!!!. Explosive visual stuff. :o :o
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 08:22:13 AM
Greg - we tried exactly the same off the marlin jetty in Cairns around the same time. We were using massive handline that was like rope and live bait. We would equip ourselves with gloves (gardening gloves that is) but we didnt use puffer fish!! We used any unfortunate fish that was stupid enough to eat out bait.

We did not win one encounter but it didn't stop us trying! It wasn't like these fish were huge although they were to us back then. I think the average fish would have been around the 20 - 25 kg mark. They were unstoppable. I think we lost every fish to the pylons.

I witnessed in the early 80's guys [I couldn't call them fisherman] trying to catch 'BIG' GTs off the Urangan Pier at Hervey Bay ;D. They used telecom rope tied to the wooden rail at one end and a big torpedo swivel to about 2m of clothes line wire that attached to a 12/0 hook at the other ::). They used large Puffer fish as live bait and when the GTs smashed the bait it was hook up or most often, GONE!!!. Explosive visual stuff. :o :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 11:39:37 AM
I saw one GT that had been captured but saw no captures at any time I was there.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 12:10:07 PM
Is that low speed or high speed telecom rope.  lol
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 25, 2007, 01:43:29 PM
very low speed - gear ratio of 1:1     :-[

Hey, how about we try a big handline next year at Marion? Strapping young bloke like you should be able to handle a decent doggie this way?   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!