Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Recipe for Calstar GT popping rod?
May 26, 2007, 03:18:47 PM
I've ordered a Calstar GF700H that I'm going to build for GT popping using 60lb braid on the reef.

Just wandering if anyone's had experience with this blank and can offer any proven recipe's or advice when setting it up (guide size/spacing, grips etc).

I've made a few rods before though far from an expert. Looking at keeping it at 7ft and it will be teamed up with my Stella 8000.

cheers,

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Hal Harvey

Re: Recipe for Calstar GT popping rod?
May 26, 2007, 03:23:39 PM
Hmmm... my first suggestion for the recipe would be to get a larger reel and PE8, but hey...

Steve, we've built about a million of them so can advise; best to email [email protected] and I'll scan a recipe and send it back.

Where are you getting the blank from?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 26, 2007, 03:30:02 PM
Thanks Hal, I'll send you an e-mail.  Getting it through Erskines here in Cairns, though apparently it's coming from WA. 

I know what you're saying about the reel, but the 8000's great for the area I'm fishing.  Not too heavy, not too light - just right.  Of course there's plenty of spots where I reckon even 80 wouldn't do any good.

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 26, 2007, 05:15:01 PM
Ditto to that, I'm in the middle of the same process with the same blank, this will be my exploring GT popping rod to sort out my needs. Reels will be Stella 8000 or upgraded Spheros / Ultra Jigman PE 4 62lb for local, and a Stella 20000 / Ultra Jigman PE 6 86lb for GT trips, the reels are on jigging and a T-Curve 10-15kg rods at the moment, 'waiting'.
 Sachin Chaudhry was happy with his 700XH, as is Luke, just recommended a longer foregrip than his 10" std.
 Hal, your help and recipe will be appreciated putting this together.

Greg 'FFF' Burt