Rudy Limansia

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
(Ask) Tenryu popping rod
February 18, 2011, 06:25:08 PM
Hi guys, i'm a new member here.

Need advice about this rod tenryu SK802H-80 TUNA, is this rod good enough for GT popping (about 25 kgs target)
Read on their web this is PE 4-8 rod, and 15kg drag max? And the rod weight is 320 gr only ! Very light i think.

http://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/en/offshore/spike_gt.html

I'm not sure about the drag max, 15 kgs for PE8 rod? Thank you.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: (Ask) Tenryu popping rod
February 18, 2011, 09:52:50 PM
Hi Rudy,

I have the Tenryu Spike Tuna SK862H-80 which they rate as a PE 4-8 rod...(only difference is mine is slightly longer at 8'6....which I got for my landbased work(.

In my opinion the rod is more of a PE 4-6 rod.

The suggested casting weights of 150g and 15kg drag are over the top.

In saying that I still think they are nice rods for the money....Nice blanks,fuji components and well built.

Pete

Rudy Limansia

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Hi Pete
Thx for the info, i'll go to the tackle store today and see the rod.

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 26, 2011, 08:56:03 PM
I've one Tenryu SK862H-80 and , in my opinion, this rod is not suitable for fishing near obstacles (reef or other kind of obstacles) as usully on GT fishing. It's a nice rod, really impressive for long cast and extremely light weight, but suitable for open water (IMHO of course   :D  ) I'm looking for a stick bait rod for GT fishing, 'cause I don't think I will use Tenryu for it.

PS: sorry for my bad english  :)

Rudy Limansia

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 28, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
Hi Atonio
I've just seen the rod n i'm agree with you. I think  i better choose another rod that really suitable fot GT popping, thx.

Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 28, 2011, 06:54:33 PM
Hi Rudy im in the same boat as u looking for a similar rod with around about the same specs lets us know what u decide on

cheers

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2011, 12:40:15 AM
It's difficolt for me to find a heavy stick bait rod. My target is not only GT on stick, but also big BFT in mediterranean sea (for middle size tuna I will use my tenryu spike tuna), so I need a rod sensitive on the top and with a lot of power on back. Now I'm looking for Carpenter TBC 83/40 and I'm checking some CTS off-set blanck. I was looking for smith WRC 80p/35, but for me is not a specialize stick bait rod (IMHO, is better for popper).
If you have some suggestion you're welcome  :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2011, 08:12:29 AM
Antonino, a few questions:

what weight line do you fish for the Bluefin with?
What weight stickbaits do you use?
What length of casting distance do you need to reach the fish - do you need very long casting?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2011, 10:30:13 PM
Hi Brandon,
I wat to prepare 2 set up for tuna.

First one is for small-middle size tuna (up to 30 kg, occasionally more), Teryu SK862H-80, stella 10000SW loaded with PE5-6, fluoro leader 90 lbs. For this set up I'll try also a CTS 7'6''(fast action ad CW around 120 gr) prepared by a friend of mine, really a nice rod, but without the same casting capability (I was thinking to use it whit small meta jig and jig head+soft plastic)

Second is for middle-big size tuna (up to ?), stella 18000 SW whit 20000 spool, loaded with PE6-8, fluoro or nylon leader 150 lb.

Dimension of lure is in depending to bait fish we'll find, often small bait fish (sardine).

I'm not a very good caster, but whit the first set up I'm able to go on target (I could tell you 60-70 m, but I never measured it) whit lures aroud 70 gr.

I'd like to find the correct rod for the second set up...this is my problem: a havier rod that allows me to throw the same bait at the same distance, if fishing condition require small bait, and to fish with bigger stickbait when necessary (160 gr or more, 'cause I intend to use this rod as stick bait rod for my future GT fishing trip).

I understand that a fishing rod is not a magic stick and should be difficoult or impossible to find exactly what I need, for this reason I'm looking for the right compromise between heavy power  and casting  capability.
I'm new on heavy spinning, the market is full of brand and model for tuna casting rod and I'm in difficulty for this choice.

I just done some experiece whit GT, but I have no experience with tuna fishing (small skipjack a some casting on YFT feeding are not experience)... my desire is to fish tuna in italian water for this season... not easy but possible...
Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:35:56 PM by Antonino Augugliaro

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 01, 2011, 10:55:12 PM
Antonio - the single best PE6-8 stickbait rod I have ever used is a Carpenter Coral Viper 79/40.  Huge amount of power down low but a lovely sensitive tip for working stickbaits 100 grams upwards to 160 grams and beyond. And it casts like a dream.  Probably not an obvious tuna rod but I can see it working well.   And it is of course a very highly regarded GT rod. Seems to fit your bill very well.

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 05:17:32 AM
Hi Mark,
I hope to find a chance to check this rod, but shall be difficult 'cause no friends of mine fished with it. it look to have the quality I'm looking for, from the description you made ...
Now I'm going to find something about in the forum's topics  :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 08:25:01 AM
I don't really have much experience at all on tuna but it reads to me like you want a rods that will fish PE6-8, will cast a very long way and can cast a relatively light stickbait up to a reasonably heavy one. You'd also like to be able to use the rod for GTs. I don't have a feel for the size of tuna you want to chase. I don't know if it is 50kgs or you're looking at monster 100kg+ fish.

If you're looking at fish short of monster size, there are quite a number of rods you could consider. The Carpenter BLC83/40 can cast the range of weights you're looking at and will also give you distance. The Carpenter Endless Endless Passion EP85/36 would also be suitable. Ripple Fisher have the Ultimo 83MH which would also be excellent. Zenaq have the FC83-7 which would also be suitable. I make the point these are all GT rods but you did indicate you wanted a rod that you could use for GT fishing.

If you want to move up a bit in weight to target bigger fish, you may need to think about a heavier rod like a PE10 stickbait rod. Such a rod will still fish PE8 very comfortably but will give you more lifting power whilst still having the ability to cast relatively light weights. I'd suggest you look at a Ripple Ultimo 82H.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 10:34:58 PM
Thank you to everybody for precious suggestions, now It's time form me to take a decision.
Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:53:41 PM by Antonino Augugliaro

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2011, 12:05:55 AM
It would be worth having a look at Saltywater tackels site (blogs) Sami does a lot of tuna fishing in states ,
I note most of the gear used is pe8-10 rods with 100lbs line , worth a look .

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 15, 2011, 05:11:23 PM
I don't really have much experience at all on tuna but it reads to me like you want a rods that will fish PE6-8, will cast a very long way and can cast a relatively light stickbait up to a reasonably heavy one. You'd also like to be able to use the rod for GTs. I don't have a feel for the size of tuna you want to chase. I don't know if it is 50kgs or you're looking at monster 100kg+ fish.

If you're looking at fish short of monster size, there are quite a number of rods you could consider. The Carpenter BLC83/40 can cast the range of weights you're looking at and will also give you distance. The Carpenter Endless Endless Passion EP85/36 would also be suitable. Ripple Fisher have the Ultimo 83MH which would also be excellent. Zenaq have the FC83-7 which would also be suitable. I make the point these are all GT rods but you did indicate you wanted a rod that you could use for GT fishing.

If you want to move up a bit in weight to target bigger fish, you may need to think about a heavier rod like a PE10 stickbait rod. Such a rod will still fish PE8 very comfortably but will give you more lifting power whilst still having the ability to cast relatively light weights. I'd suggest you look at a Ripple Ultimo 82H.
Brandon i also want to target yellow fin tuna this year with stick baits (tuna upto 120lb) and already have a Ripple fisher 82lc do you think this rod will suit tuna fishing ?
Thank you