Michael Gamble

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
16000 SOM No Limits Question.
February 28, 2011, 09:48:59 PM
Hey guys,

Just a quick one, I have recently purchased a Studio Ocean Mark 16000 SOM No Limits spool for my Stella 10000SW for an upcoming trip.
When I put the spool onto the body of reel and applied some drag pressure I noticed it was fully locked and only really pumping out say 2-3kg of drag? After repositioning the spool it seems the problems fixed, however sometimes when I tighten the drag I'll hear a slight 'pop' inside the spool and then this instantly allows for heaps more drag pressure to be applied. 

Its hard to explain and I am not a very mechanical person, just curious if anyone has had any similar issues as I definitely don't want to struggle with it whilst fishing.

Cheers in advanced,
Mick,

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: 16000 SOM No Limits Question.
February 28, 2011, 09:55:57 PM
Mick this happened to me once only with a SOM spool and it was on a day trip when suddenly I reckoned I had only 2 kgs of drag at maximum screw.  I took off the spool and put it firmly back into place and this has never happened again with many dozens of uses.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 28, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
It sounds as if your spool may not have been aligned properly when you first fit it. Make sure you rotate it a few times with downward pressure prior to tightening the drag. It should click into place when lined up properly.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 28, 2011, 10:57:44 PM
Sounds like that Ben I agree. But the same thing happened to me in the middle of a casting session. The drag was fine and then suddenly it wasn't. The spool was apparently engaged properly.  There could be something in the design of the dual drag on a SOM No Limits that causes this. 
Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:05:31 PM by Mark Harris

Mike_Tan

March 02, 2011, 07:14:03 PM
Instead of positioning/aligning your spool by just rotating it, try pressing down on the drag stack gently with two fingers, whilst rotating drag stack and spool at the same time. You should hear or feel a really positive click once everything is nicely aligned. And I thought this problem only happens to Daiwa reels! I had a tough time trying to align my SOM NL spool initially as well but found that the above mentioned method works best for me. Removing the teflon washer on top of the drag stack before aligning the spool does make it a little easier for me at times.
Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:19:53 PM by Mike Tan

Michael Gamble

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 07:42:27 PM
Cheers for the the replies guys, looks as though I need to be a bit more careful when positioning/aligning my spool.