Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
'Fisherman' Lures
August 30, 2013, 10:49:26 AM
Hi all,

I'm a long-time fishing addict, but I've only recently started targeting GTs seriously. There's such a wealth of knowledge on these forums, and I was hoping to draw on that for a bit of help.

I'm finding it very difficult to source Fisherman lures in Australia (Sydney). A few months ago, I got my hands on a Long Pen and it's fast become my go-to lure. Sadly, she's now looking a bit worse for wear and I'm in need of a replacement. Stretched wire is the main issue - I don't really think the paint job makes a difference...

...which is handy, because - from what I've read - this is not the first or last Fisherman lure to delaminate!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have ordered gear directly through the Fisherman website. That's looking like my best option at the moment... unless anyone knows where I can buy Long Pens in Oz?

P.S. It appears that the (pretty awesome) site sponsors (Saltywater) don't carry Long Pens, which is why I'm asking for any help I can get! Whether it be by post or PM, I'd appreciate anything.
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Ben Yeo

• Fusilier
  • What!? How Much?... But I only want One!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 'Fisherman' Lures
August 31, 2013, 12:17:02 PM
Ryan,

Fisherman lures are good, but sometimes it may not be necessary to go to the ends of the earth to look for them when there are very effective lures right on our doorstep.
I know the sentiments about trust about using the tried and tested, but once you expand your arsenal, you'll be able to get a feel of whats going to work better in some condition over others.

Cheers

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 12:29:15 PM
Thanks Ben. Excellent point... but we all still have our "favourites", right? As much as we know the theory behind optimal lure selection, there's always a handful that we're more likely to tie on than others. The Long Pen happens to be in my favourite handful.

Thanks to the guys who PMed me, too - some good leads. Keep 'em coming! Much appreciated.

Ricky, if you read this, please empty your mailbox - it's full, so I can't reply to your PM.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 01:20:03 PM
Hey Ryan

As no forum sponsors have them, it is probably OK to tell you that a reliable source of Fisherman Long Pens in both sizes is JDM Tackle in California.

As for trying to deal with Fisherman direct, I would doubt that will work as they sell retail through a dealer network. However, if you do manage that, please let us know how as that would be great info to have!

Titahi brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 01:53:27 PM
Fisherman have a website and order form in englsih......

Here is the web site...http://www.gt-fisherman.co.jp/rodetop.htm

Here is the order form...http://www.gt-fisherman.co.jp/order.htm

Personally I order any goods I require from Fisherman through Plat tackle, who are easy to deal with, professional and prompt.

I have just ordered a Fisherman tatoo t shirt, as well as some lures.... I think they make some cool stuff.
Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:56:00 PM by Titahi brown

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 02:26:12 PM
Wow.. Titahi.... that is really good to know about ordering direct!

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 05:28:57 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Agreed, Titahi - Fisherman do make some awesome apparel! Tempted to get some myself.

Mark, I've actually spoken to someone who's ordered lures directly through Fisherman. If I do go down that path, I'll definitely report back with the results! I've heard from several bricks-and-mortar retailers that the Australian importer of Fisherman no longer import the lures, so methinks it's within the best interest of the manufacturer to deal directly with the public (in the absence of an intermediary).

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 31, 2013, 07:29:06 PM
Yep, gonna try it myself mate. Way to save money for sure and also you can chose your colours direct at source.