Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1 setup for GTs, Tonga and Fiji?
December 15, 2013, 12:19:41 AM
Hi all! 
Great forum.  There's a phenomenal amount of information, and I have spent a few hours reading.

I am headed to Ha'apai and Tavenui/Qamea in 8 months.  I want to take just one setup.  Is this feasible?  I was thinking a 8' ish lighter rod with a 'gosa 10k (JB 60).  It's not a fishing trip, but there's some areas for shore fishing, and I hope to out with some locals a few times.  What size sticks/poppers would be recommended for the location?

Any thoughts on this or suggestions?  I'm 5'10 and 65kg.  I live near Boston, so I plan to get a ton of testing in prior to the trip.  I don't really want to throw large poppers all day, which is part of my motivation.  Currently I throw mostly spooks/sticks in the 60g range with some pencils and poppers about 90g.  Striped bass are not gorillas like GTs!

Thanks!
Chris

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: 1 setup for GTs, Tonga and Fiji?
December 15, 2013, 11:43:32 AM
I'd suggest something like Saltiga 80TN rod, very capable allrounder. At 8' in length it will perfectly handle 50g - 90g (max) poppers and stickbaits, and be a lot of fun for for red bass, bluefin trevally and smaller GT's you will encounter.

Cheers Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 15, 2013, 12:29:16 PM
David, I had to laugh at your caveat of 'small GTs'!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 15, 2013, 07:40:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, Fiji has car bonnet GT's a plenty.

But I think as Chris states "it's not a fishing trip, looking at shore based, casting smaller lures on a lighter rod, &/or going out with some locals" it's best to keep expectations realistic & for me that means err on the lighter side of things.

Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:57:08 PM by David Noble

Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 17, 2013, 01:54:12 AM
Thank you all for your insight, I really appreciate this.  This is a trip of a lifetime for me, I don't want to mess it up!
I hope to go out with Makaira on Tavenui for 1/2 day, so there's a chance for some nice fish. 
However, expectations-wise, I am not really expecting 50kg GT's on every cast for all locations (should I be?).  If I can pick up a few blue trevally and stuff from shore too, I would be super geeked.

Is it better to be over optimistic or under-optimistic gear wise?

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 17, 2013, 07:30:47 AM
I haven't fished Tavenui so don't know the topography.
Google Earth your locations to see the lay of the land and ask the resort if/where you can fish from shore. If it's tidal shallow then it might only be suitable at high tide. You'll be able to fish close to your resort but may not be able to wander too far beyond if neighbouring villages have fishing rights here.
If your budget allows you to fish from boats that's the go. Better water is always further away.
Most resorts have kayaks so I'd take lighter outfit for this, 20-30lb braid, poppers, soft plastics etc. Go for a paddle early mornings for pre breakfast fish.

Bula!

Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 02:50:16 AM
Hi Mr. Noble. 
Good points.  Hmmm...I have a nice/cheap 8' rod with spheros 5k that I use a ton. 
2 rods (still would need a heavier outfit)?  Insanity!  Something to definitely consider.
Your website and outfit looks amazing, by the way.
Thanks!
C

Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 23, 2013, 09:43:05 AM
I'd suggest something like Saltiga 80TN rod, very capable allrounder. At 8' in length it will perfectly handle 50g - 90g (max) poppers and stickbaits, and be a lot of fun for for red bass, bluefin trevally and smaller GT's you will encounter.

Cheers Dave

Hi David!
Thanks for your help.  Looks like 80tn is not super available in the US.  I will look into similar rods... stk78hh, etc. for that lure size.
Sincerely,
C

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 24, 2013, 07:53:41 AM
How about a Yamaga Blanks Blue Sniper 80/5? Would be a good option for what you are wanting to do and shouldn't be too hard to find.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
December 30, 2013, 07:23:33 AM
Hi all! 
Great forum.  There's a phenomenal amount of information, and I have spent a few hours reading.

I am headed to Ha'apai and Tavenui/Qamea in 8 months.  I want to take just one setup.  Is this feasible?  I was thinking a 8' ish lighter rod with a 'gosa 10k (JB 60).  It's not a fishing trip, but there's some areas for shore fishing, and I hope to out with some locals a few times.  What size sticks/poppers would be recommended for the location?

Any thoughts on this or suggestions?  I'm 5'10 and 65kg.  I live near Boston, so I plan to get a ton of testing in prior to the trip.  I don't really want to throw large poppers all day, which is part of my motivation.  Currently I throw mostly spooks/sticks in the 60g range with some pencils and poppers about 90g.  Striped bass are not gorillas like GTs!

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris,

Give us a call at the shop or drop us an email at [email protected] and we will be more than happy to help you out, shipping to Boston is free and we have a lot of rods that suits your need, we are located in New Jersey but we fish for GT constantly and we can get you the right gear for the task,
I've fished Fiji 4 times and been in Taveuni.

Tight lines
   Sami