MattV

Re: Daiwa Dogfight - what is it good for?
July 03, 2007, 06:06:41 AM
I checked all my Stellas and there was no such issue present. I don't doubt that you reels have this problem though.

Do you know what may be the underlying cause?
Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:09:31 AM by MattV

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 03, 2007, 07:14:49 PM
Matt, I use both reels so I have no specific allegiances to either. I'm amazed that people become so emotive on this topic. It could be that they have spent so much money on the reel that they want to justify (at least to themselves) that they made the right purchase. Why should we have any allegiance when they charge us so much money for it!?

Recently, I encountered someone on another site who basically went insane when I questioned his love affair with the Saltiga. I use one myself so it is hardly like I don't know anything about the reel. He was just talking $#@!. He even got to the point where he was arguing against what is well known conventional wisdom about the drag of the Saltiga and he got so offensive in the end that he got tossed from the forum. For me, I couldn't understand this - why?

If the retailer has not had any problems at all with the 6500, then I sincerely doubt he has any customers who are GT fishos! I've seen examples of the sticking drag myself on a couple of occasions. Quite frankly, my view is the price of the Saltigas is outrageous even though it is my preferred popping reel. I just do't see how they can justify the price difference. Do I think it is a better reel than the Stella? In a nutshell, no. I use it because I like the look of it but I never have any hesitation in reaching for the Stella either.

Interesting because my preference is reversed as soon as I start jigging. I'll take the 20000 any time over the Explorer. Why? Well, I really like the feel of the 20000 and when heavy jigging, I like to get as much line on the reel as possible and the 20000 has a higher line capacity than the Explorer. Getting spooled does that to you!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Ciotucha

July 03, 2007, 07:19:50 PM
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread, i may have missed it.

But is there any physical difference between the "FA" and "SW" stellas besides cosmetics?
I have read on a few sites that they are exactly the same, and on others i have read that the gears are better in the SW stellas?

Cheers
Rob
Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:46:37 PM by Rob Ciotucha

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2007, 07:42:50 PM
The differences must be more than cosmetic, Rob. There is a discernible difference in weight

Rob Ciotucha

July 03, 2007, 07:48:17 PM
Thanks brandon,
Ive got a 6500 EXP now and looking at getting a stella soon so i have one of each, but still havent decided.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 03, 2007, 08:18:40 PM
I'm not certain about the different gear materials but it sounds plausible.

As for other differentiating factors i heard that there were higher grade bearings - of which i understand don't make a hell of a lot of difference if you look after you reel.

Besides from that, there's an extra spool and some oil and gearse canisters.

I've had the option to buy the SW models but have been happy with the FA series.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2007, 08:40:10 PM
Thanks brandon,
Ive got a 6500 EXP now and looking at getting a stella soon so i have one of each, but still havent decided.

Rob - if I can make a suggestion, go for either a Stella 10000 or a Saltiga 6500 DF for your next reel. The reason for that is you currently have a reel with a relatively low gear ratio. Getting one with a higher gear ratio will expand your options and faciliate less effort when working a popper.

Rob Ciotucha

July 03, 2007, 08:43:06 PM
Thanks Brandon, I got my EXP mainly for jigging, but yes as you mentioned i will be getting a higher speed reel, Just a decision what one to get.

Rob

MattV

July 04, 2007, 05:40:08 AM
If the retailer has not had any problems at all with the 6500, then I sincerely doubt he has any customers who are GT fishos! I've seen examples of the sticking drag myself on a couple of occasions. Quite frankly, my view is the price of the Saltigas is outrageous even though it is my preferred popping reel. I just do't see how they can justify the price difference.

Brandon, you're right about that I'm sure, as it's the 6500 Expedition that they sell most of and then mainly to jiggers and people who fish for Kingfish. I have seen some 6000 GT's for sale there a while back though. I think, in part, the price premium over the Stella may be due to the smaller production run of the Saltiga - even so, in Aus and NZ it's excessive overcharging by the Daiwa importers. I think the Saltiga overhead reels are undoubtedly superior to the Shimano Trinidads (being similar in quality to the much more expensive and very nice Torsa reels) and the price difference isn't that much different between the two models. Can't figure that one out.

I remember the Saltiga aficionado you're referring to. It was quite amusing reading his one eyed comments. Common sense obviously flies out the window when he stands on his Saltiga parapet.
Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 10:55:13 AM by MattV

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 08:16:49 AM
The 6500 is a very nice reel and with its gearing, ideal when fishing for kingies. If my jigging was primarily for kingies, I'd have looked seriously at one. For doggies however, it is a diferent kettle of fish. if you give a kingy twenty metres, the fish is gone. A big doggie can spool you in a couple of runs. What I really need is a Stella 30000!!   :D

I've been on my pedestal enough in the past over pricing by the various distributors in Australia so i will say no more.

I agree that the Saltiga overheads feel nicer than the Trinidad but I don't really know because I don't jig with an overhead. I know a lot of the expert jiggers prefer the Ocea Jigger. The only overheads I use are baitcasters and Torsas.

I suspect the Saltiga afficionado may have had an interest beyond simply being a user which he was not declaring. He had previously posted about Stellas rusting while emphasising the perfection of his Saltigas. I didn't find him amusing at all seeing I and then Bertrand bore the brunt of his righteousness!   :(

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 08:44:46 AM
I  like the industrial feel of my dogfighter , but yes the question can raise peoples emotions.

Its an easy problem to solve - buy one of each.... :D

.....my poor credit card.... :(

Neil Griffiths

July 04, 2007, 09:28:44 AM
Aussies can easily get a handle on the whole Stella, Saltiga thing ..... it's just like the Holden and Ford argument, just try selling a Ford to a Holden guy or vice versa!!!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 09:52:28 AM
For me I have 2 expeditions for my popping and jigging but my last trip I managed to break the rotor of one of my expeditions. Had a Stella 8k as backup but with PE4 it's just wasnt enough. Next trip I'll have 2 Stella 20k. My reasoning for these low geared is that I mainly pop from shore and usually do it slow with lots of pauses. I still think the Dogfight is just another marketing idea to sell more gear. But hey I'm not complaining.  ;D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 04, 2007, 11:29:54 AM
Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:32:53 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

MattV

July 04, 2007, 11:45:45 AM
Brandon,

I didn't read the abusive part of xxxx's replies. Sorry to hear that happened. I have an OJ 4000P
and it's smooth and powerful although it seems to use a lot of cast metal in it's construction - however that's neither here nor there.

Hon-Su,

That's bad luck about the rotor on your Saltiga. I borrowed an 6500 Exp for an hour or so while jigging recently and accidentally whacked the rotor several times on the boat's rail. Thought, "oh no! This is going to be an expensive mistake when the rotor breaks any moment now". Never did luckily. Do you know why the rotor broke on your reel?
Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:47:41 AM by MattV