Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
stella 2010?
April 26, 2010, 04:34:55 PM
Hi all,
          I'm in the market for a new reel and am pretty sold on a Stella but there are a few questions in the back of my mind that i wonder if anyone can clear up.

i keep seeing news of a new 2010 Stella being released but can only find the reels up 4000.   Is the 10000 going to be re released for 2010 and would it be worth waiting for?

My other question is regarding JDM and US models.   The US model has a ration of 5.8 which is the same as the JDM XG if i am not wrong?    Does this mean that they are the same reel?

I've heard of one complaint of the XG giving troubles with gears rubbing after a few decent fish, is this a one off or does it seem to be a regular problem?    I'm would like to use the reel for shore jigging and popping and am wondering if the PG would be too slow for the popping?

lots of questions and i apologize but I'm slightly lost and its far to much money to be guessing and buying the wrong one.....

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: stella 2010?
April 26, 2010, 05:02:09 PM
Alistair, the reel up to the 4000 size are a different series from the SW series. The SW series is a heavier duty series of reels. This current SW series was only released in 2008 so I doubt there will be a new one for a while. A high profile like the Stella would nearly always be announced at the Japan Tackle Show. The show has come and gone so while I cannot be 100% certain, I doubt there will be a new SW reel for some time but this year at the very least.

None of us have been able to discern any difference between the JDM SW and the export SW. There have been rumours about a different spool or different layers of rust proofing etc but I cant confirm any of these. All I can tell you is that I have a JDM and an export 10000 and I can't tell any difference between them. There are always rumours of problems with reels and sometimes, these take on the stuff of legends. There have undoubtedly been some cases of problems with reels as there always are but I think these get blown out of all proportion. Just make sure you get a reel locally then you know it will have a warranty behind it.

If you want the reel for jigging, then I'd suggest you go the PG. If you want it for popping, go the 5.8. I'm not sure what you mean by shore jigging though.
If the fishing you are doing are for big critters and you intend fishing PE8-10, I'd suggest you look a an 18000 or 20000.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 26, 2010, 05:33:39 PM
Thanks for the information there Brandon.  Its now decision time!  By shore jigging i mean casting a jig out, let it sink and then jig it back to the shore.   There is one place where i am where it gets incredibly deep rapidly so this technique seems to work best.       
     I am a little torn as i would ideally want the reel to do both so now its down to arguing with myself.   Sadly they aren't real brutes here so only planning on using pe 6.   Thanks for your help.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 26, 2010, 05:57:23 PM
You can use a jigging reel for popping but it is a real struggle to use a popping reel for deep jigging
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 01:21:46 PM
Thanks for that little insight, i would have thought it was the other way around due to needing the speed for a popper.  It looks more and more like the PG for me....

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 01:58:46 PM
You can use a jigging reel for popping but it is a real struggle to use a popping reel for deep jigging

May I ask why it is such a struggle?

Cheers.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 03:09:08 PM
More of a struggle if you actually have a big fish on down deep Bill.  Like trying to ride up a hill while still in your high gear on a push bike...hard work.  Whereas popping with a jigging reel is like pedaling your easy gear down a hill...you have to spin a lot to stay in contact and it's annoying but not grueling.

Bertrand Loyeung

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 07:03:15 PM
hello alistair

i just started shorejigging in sydney and i use a twinpower sw 6000 hg. i chose the 6000 size as it is much lighter than 8000 models. shorejigging rods are longer than boatjigging ones, with the most popular length being 9-10ft. the main reason is casting distance and leverage. i can tell u that jigging with such a long rod, unfortunately necessary, will put lots of strain on your wrist. so the key is to go as light as possible. if there's no monster fish where u gonna shorejig, then i personally would use a 6000 shimano or 4000 daiwa models. check the mcworks shorejigging rods or daikoh. hope that help

cheers
bertrand

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 27, 2010, 10:10:07 PM
More of a struggle if you actually have a big fish on down deep Bill.  Like trying to ride up a hill while still in your high gear on a push bike...hard work.  Whereas popping with a jigging reel is like pedaling your easy gear down a hill...you have to spin a lot to stay in contact and it's annoying but not grueling.

That's the best analogy I've ever heard for this scenario  ;)

Alistair Barnes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 28, 2010, 10:51:53 AM
Thanks alot for all the help guys.  I'm starting to form a pretty clear picture of what is going to be needed from all the advice.   The shopping list keeps growing.   

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 06, 2010, 08:34:51 AM
Thanks Travis, good info.

chris scurfield

May 06, 2010, 06:12:39 PM
Alistair, the reel up to the 4000 size are a different series from the SW series. The SW series is a heavier duty series of reels. This current SW series was only released in 2008 so I doubt there will be a new one for a while. A high profile like the Stella would nearly always be announced at the Japan Tackle Show. The show has come and gone so while I cannot be 100% certain, I doubt there will be a new SW reel for some time but this year at the very least.

None of us have been able to discern any difference between the JDM SW and the export SW. There have been rumours about a different spool or different layers of rust proofing etc but I cant confirm any of these. All I can tell you is that I have a JDM and an export 10000 and I can't tell any difference between them. There are always rumours of problems with reels and sometimes, these take on the stuff of legends. There have undoubtedly been some cases of problems with reels as there always are but I think these get blown out of all proportion. Just make sure you get a reel locally then you know it will have a warranty behind it.

If you want the reel for jigging, then I'd suggest you go the PG. If you want it for popping, go the 5.8. I'm not sure what you mean by shore jigging though.
If the fishing you are doing are for big critters and you intend fishing PE8-10, I'd suggest you look a an 18000 or 20000.

I have a stella 8000pg bought here in AUS and i got second hand 8000 JDM spool and it is a couple mm smaller than the spool that came with it. Cant understand why that would be as i imagine this would mean 2 moulds? any one else come across this?

Jimmy Ward

May 31, 2010, 03:14:40 PM
I'm in the same boat but I am up here on the islands on the GBR......being spoilt for choice of species its hard to choose but going for 1000pg from AUS.  Rang shimano today and they said it would be very unlikely for a Stella to break down but they can do repairs on it in Australia ( if using a JDM model) as they have all the parts for a fee...twin power models and down they would have to get parts from Japan which can get expensive and take a while......for a $1000 bucks a pop I'm going to stick with the Aussie 10yr warranty for a bit of piece and mind.