Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Stella SW 2013 video
February 05, 2013, 03:13:48 PM
Hi Mark, Totally agree that it is going to be hard to beat the old SW and I think there will be the same thing as last time the SW launched and that there was an initial rush to get the SW and then an even bigger rush to try and buy the last remaining FAs as everyone realized it was a great price and still an awesome reel, we still using some FAs in the Musandam after most probably 2000 GTs!

Not sure if the new 8000 is a misprint but it is way to much drag if true for anyone or rod to handle for any length of time, but should be fun to at least try! I heard the 30000 was going to be over 30kgs drag???? Ouch going to hurt! I still think the 14000 is the perfect PE6 reel for GTs and Tuna on a medium set up, I think if you fishing PE8 upwards then the 18000 is the right reel for the line capacity, but end of the day if you can fit 200m of line then that should be enough for any GT in normal conditions, he gets 200m from you that bad boy is way back in the reef, good bye lure and a lot of line, respool. It will be great if the smaller reels can put out the higher drag and maybe a couple of options on max spools to increase line capacity so usie much smaller reels to land much bigger fish. Aaaahhhhh the options!

Cheers,
Nick

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 03:24:03 PM
From a purely dispassionate POV, you have to wonder how much better the 2013 Stella can be when compared to the existing SW 2008 range and whether that will justify a high dollar spend.

Of course, anglers are rarely that logical (I am hopeless!) and there will be lots purchased regardless  ;) .

The 14000 XG is the one that interests me most - could be the perfect PE8 popping reel.

On the 30000, I can't find the weight published anywhere. Anyone know?

On the 8000, is the max drag figure a mis-print? The 8000 puts down more drag than the 30000?

Hi Mark,

If the drag on the 8k is correct I would say its beacause the drag stack is of the same design (size) as the others...the 8k spool having a smaller circumference will enable a higher drag rating

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
The 08 Stella 8000sw had 25kg drag also. They've improved the drag washers so they claim the higher drag. Highly doubt the reel will actually pull 28kg drag even at max and the practical drag will be much less.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 06:19:35 PM
Hi Mark, Totally agree that it is going to be hard to beat the old SW and I think there will be the same thing as last time the SW launched and that there was an initial rush to get the SW and then an even bigger rush to try and buy the last remaining FAs as everyone realized it was a great price and still an awesome reel, we still using some FAs in the Musandam after most probably 2000 GTs!

Not sure if the new 8000 is a misprint but it is way to much drag if true for anyone or rod to handle for any length of time, but should be fun to at least try! I heard the 30000 was going to be over 30kgs drag???? Ouch going to hurt! I still think the 14000 is the perfect PE6 reel for GTs and Tuna on a medium set up, I think if you fishing PE8 upwards then the 18000 is the right reel for the line capacity, but end of the day if you can fit 200m of line then that should be enough for any GT in normal conditions, he gets 200m from you that bad boy is way back in the reef, good bye lure and a lot of line, respool. It will be great if the smaller reels can put out the higher drag and maybe a couple of options on max spools to increase line capacity so usie much smaller reels to land much bigger fish. Aaaahhhhh the options!

Cheers,
Nick

Hey Nick

I agree with you there and have always considered that 200 metres of PE8 is the minimum for GT fishing, and in that sense 12000 size spools big enough. You can definitely get 200 metres of PE8 onto a Twinpower or Yumeya 12000.  I mentioned earlier in this thread that a stated capacity of 200 m PE8 for a 14000 seems low to me.  Unless Shimano have changed the sizing, it ought be more like 220-230.

On the drags, how right you are. No normal human being could hold on for long (if at all) at some of these high numbers. And of course, what rod is going to hold out under that sort of force?

Like many others I am sure I will be making all sort of logical reasoning for NOT buying a new Stella, and then doing the exact opposite :).

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 06:53:31 PM
It isn't just the rod, Mark. The problem with the claims made on the drags is that while the reels can almost certainly pull that much drag, the longeivity of the components inside under heavy use is another question. I have recently had to change the drive gear on both my 10000s and my reels have probably seen a ceiling of around 15kgs of drag. Mind you, both reels have been fished hard since acquired but I am not at all capable of fishing anywhere near the maximum drags claimed on the reels.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 08:15:09 PM
I think the higher drag ratings are more a matter of making the reel better to handle the normal drag settings of around 12-15 kilograms that we tend to use. I mean how often do you drive with maximum speed in your car? I have never tried that...

Problem is that it could be the drive gears that is the bottle neck as Brandon mentions. But you may have a couple of more annual trips than I do :)

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 09:31:50 PM
I think that is well put, Peter

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 05, 2013, 11:49:28 PM
Great analogy with the car Peter! But it is good to now you have the extra power and to put the pedal to the metal every now and then!! Mark classic, I think we both now we are going to buy at least one new Stella when we can get our hands on it, just a curse of loving rods, reels, lures and all things shiny! We can only fish part of our time but having the new Stella is permanent!! Brandon totally agree not sure if the components can last to long under the high pressure but hopefully at 15kgs the new reels will handle and last longer, but all exciting to find out in the next couple of months!

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 12:05:50 AM
Nick,

You've hit on something there: 'A Stella's for life just not for Christmas'.

I'll let you sell it to Shimano.

Trev

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 12:09:24 AM
I guess we just have to accept that even the best that reels break given the pressure we put them under when GT fishing.  I too have blitzed the gears on a couple of Stellas and a Saltiga Dogfight. The latter is still running without replacing the gears but it makes a noise like a coffee grinder  :o

Will be interesting to see if the new Stella is a step forward in the hardiness ranks.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 06:19:14 AM
I think that would be the last thing Shimano would want!

Nick,

Trev

Rob Langridge

• Fusilier
  • I intend to live forever...... So far, so good.
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 07:11:35 PM
On the 30000, I can't find the weight published anywhere. Anyone know?
Mark on that link that Ian has posted you will see the stella 30000 has ?? as it's weight. I put that through Google Translate and came up with nothing. Maybe one of the Japanese member's might translate it.
Cheers,
Rob

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 08:48:05 PM
Haha, very good Brandon, i think it was the Japanese who invented 'planned obselescence'.

Rob i'll take a guess and say 'to be announced'.

I think that would be the last thing Shimano would want!

Nick,

Trev
Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:59:31 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 10:33:14 PM
I think Andy is spot on :)

Babylon translates that as follows: