Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finishing off a bimimi double
April 02, 2007, 10:13:42 PM
For the most part, I have always finished off bimimi doubles with a series of alternating half hitches and this has worked well for me. From time to time though, I start to experiment with the pull through loop. By this, what I mean is I form a loop with another piece of braid which I then turn the last dozen or so turns over. I then thread it thorugh the loop and pull it back through. This is certainly a little fussier than half hitches but the finish looks so clean.

i was wondereing whether anyone has done any experimenting with the strength of this finish over half hitches?

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Finishing off a bimimi double
April 02, 2007, 10:25:21 PM
I pretty much finish the double off with half hitches, and a few wraps around both strands, and another half hitch or 2..then a dab of superglue on it and thats it for me.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 10:41:37 PM
I have been confident with a few half hitches on each leg of the braid then making 6 loops around both legs then passing the tag back through. Slight dab of glue only on that small section.

MarkR

April 03, 2007, 12:10:16 AM
From time to time though, I start to experiment with the pull through loop. By this, what I mean is I form a loop with another piece of braid which I then turn the last dozen or so turns over. I then thread it thorugh the loop and pull it back through. This is certainly a little fussier than half hitches but the finish looks so clean.

I've been using a 20-turn Rizzuto finish on all my Biminis for over 2 years now...the end product is a "whipped" finish that is very clean and strong and looks just like the "pull though loop" or "nail knot" finish...and the best part is that you don't need to use another piece of braid to get the job done!
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:15:35 AM by Mark Richards

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 07:12:38 AM
Mark - is there any chance you could show us or explain to us how that finish is done? I'm very interested to learn it. i do like the puill through because it looks and feels so smooth but having to form the loop with another peice of braid is a real pain.

From time to time though, I start to experiment with the pull through loop. By this, what I mean is I form a loop with another piece of braid which I then turn the last dozen or so turns over. I then thread it thorugh the loop and pull it back through. This is certainly a little fussier than half hitches but the finish looks so clean.

I've been using a 20-turn Rizzuto finish on all my Biminis for over 2 years now...the end product is a "whipped" finish that is very clean and strong and looks just like the "pull though loop" or "nail knot" finish...and the best part is that you don't need to use another piece of braid to get the job done!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 08:35:26 AM
Sounds interesting..this is the best I could find so far on it.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/154/ARTICLE/1296/2006-06-18.html

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 01:15:31 PM
thanks Andrew - I've managed to work out now what he is doing with the Rizzuto. It's very clever indeed. I'll go home and test this tonight

MarkR

April 03, 2007, 01:19:58 PM
Hi guys,

The Rizzuto finish is just an unwound Uni-Knot. Can opt to lock the Bimini with a half-hitch but not really necessary.

cheerio

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 08:31:01 PM
Mark - thanks. I've just tied a half dozen of them and it looks very good indeed. One question - no matter how hard I tie the windings, I find that there is a tiny slippage back toward the rest of the bimimi. I can tighten it by rubbing it between the fingers and pulling on the tag end. is this okay or am I doing something wrong?