scott slack

GT fishing Cairns
January 12, 2009, 11:31:12 PM
Hello everyone,just after a little info.Took a friends friend from the US fishing over chrissy.When he jumped on board handed me a black bag and said this is for you.In my hands I was holding a brand new stella 20000sw,nearly fell over.I have done some jigging and popping but my gear was never good enough,and always resulted in many lost poppers and jigs.

What I would like to know is when popping do you only pop the shallow reef areas or the deep as well?
  Would anyone know a spot in Cairns to jig for GT's

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT fishing Cairns
January 13, 2009, 07:52:06 AM
hi scott, welcome to the forum mate, 20000sw stella mate, looks like santa looked after you!! ;D ;D ;D to answer your question, you would pop both the shallow reefs, deep water and drop offs. each of these areas on their own days will hold fish. which area around cairns r u fishing?? with regards to jigging gts in cairns, i'll leave that to the boys/gals that r more familiar with that area..
AKA: Sunny

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 13, 2009, 09:19:41 AM
Mate welcome and what a great prezzy...You can popp the shallows but popping the reefs egde where the drop offs are are the danger zone for the big Predetory fish Such as GT,Dogtooth and many other big fish fish along those edges to feed!!

scott slack

January 13, 2009, 05:53:57 PM

Thanks for your replies.Now that I am better equiped I will try fin and onyx reefs just on the edge of the shelf off Cairns

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 13, 2009, 10:21:59 PM
Are you sure you just took them fishing? Seems a little suss to me  :D :D

scott slack

January 13, 2009, 11:20:41 PM

I found out on the day that he is an engineer for shimanos stellas and calcuttas in usa

Neale Bird

January 15, 2009, 08:29:22 PM
handouts for everyone then ;D :P