Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I was only kidding,  Luke. The one certainty in fishing is that you very rarely get perfect weather for a trip but it is quite extraordinary bad luck to hit a cyclone AND undersea earthquakes at the same time!  :D  What can you say!!

With a bit of luck, we will have decent conditions at Shoalwater. We have a week so hopefully will get some good days. The guys saw a lot of very big GTs last year but found trying to land them a completely diferent story. Apparently, it's very shallow and it is easy to get reefed by the big fish. A well-known fishing identity who will remain unnamed lost 20 poppers! If it is really good there, we should think about organising a group for this location next year! Bugatti is GT focussed but I think this is their only pure GT trip on the calendar for next year.

I agree mate, have a discussion with Damon when you are there and we will see what happens.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
only if it is a good location!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

MikeOsborn

I would like to go back to Komodo with better gear and minus the female companion.
Otherwise a 7day charter in Vanuatu would make me a happy chappy.

Hopefully I will find a few fish in Sumbawa this year

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mike - if you go to vanuatu, I hope you have better luck than i did!!

I would like to go back to Komodo with better gear and minus the female companion.
Otherwise a 7day charter in Vanuatu would make me a happy chappy.

Hopefully I will find a few fish in Sumbawa this year

MikeOsborn

Only been shat on by the weather once over there and that was the year we were camping on Tanna :o. I would cry if my dream fishing trip came across atrocious weather :'(

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Mike - what type of fishing do you normally focus on in Vanuatu? I thought it looked like it had amazing dogtooth potential in the very short time we got to fish.

MikeOsborn

Do a little landbased popper fishing and also jigging/poppering from small boats.
Havent been there for 4 years as the surf/fishing in Indonesia has taken priority.
Maybe next year..

Biggest doggie was 40ish kg caught a 9500penn. Got absolutley spanked on several occassions by unstobable monsters. As I am usually on a budget I fish from smaller skiffs which dont have any electronics so I just go on what the guide says. I may buy a cmap card for my handheld gps when I go up next time.

Alot of the charters live bait for them with rainbow runners around the "wusi"(sp) seamount but they are using 80's and 130's so not much of a fight I am told

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Maldives for me! I'll get there soon :)

On our doorstep we've got the Rowley Shoals which I'm planning on visiting next year.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Some of our members fish the Maldives quite regularly.
Wongkz is one so he's the man to get into contact with if you're interested

On our doorstep we've got the Rowley Shoals which I'm planning on visiting next year.

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
some wicked surf there to knarly reef breaks.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Mark Savage

I wouldn't mind checking out Christmas or the Cocos Islands (Indian Ocean) or Bay of Isles in NZ. Locally i'd like to go back to the Wessel and Bromby island groups in the NT.
Next time i go to Sri Lanka i think i'll bring along some gear - there's a bit of potencial inshore and shore based down the south coast.

cheers

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Bay Of Islands is a choice place some big kings and huge snapper ,alot of marlin in summer not to mention the tuna.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Some of our members fish the Maldives quite regularly.
Wongkz is one so he's the man to get into contact with if you're interested

What sort of $$ are we lookin' at ???