Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aussie GT Hotspots
May 14, 2007, 05:57:10 PM
Would like to know from other people who've done alot of GT popping in this great country of ours, what are the best GT spot's you've fished. Please also take into account, access (eg is shore based and option?) and choices of accomodation as well as the fishing itself.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Aussie GT Hotspots
May 14, 2007, 07:03:15 PM
About 30 odd kays east of Cairns.  Could only fish it for about half an hour last trip (on the way home) but it was swarming with them.  Only stopped there as a bit of an after-thought (hadn't even been there before) but looking forward to spending a full day there soon!

steve
Cairns Bommie Basher

Mark Savage

May 15, 2007, 01:29:51 PM
Over the last 6 years of going to Gove for work we've identified a couple of reliable spots but all require boat access. Luckily, Gove/Nhulumbuy has a few sportfishing charters or you could buddy up with a local - just about everyone there has a boat of some description.
North of Bremer Island there's numerous pinnacles holding Big GT's as well as huge Macks, Barracoutta and good sized Northern Bluefin tuna. All will take a popper - you may or may not get it back  :D.
South of Cape Arnhem again has numerous pinnacles and work well when the tidal flow is strong - we've been almost scared to put a lure in the water down this way some of the fish are that big. :o Good jigging territory here if you wanted a feed of Reddies.
West of Melville bay are the Bromby Island Group, followed by the Wessels Group. The reefy flats adjoining the island passes always have large to unstopable GT's around - actually they can be a bit of a pain it you're targeting Coral Trout, either by beating the trout to the lure or by actually eating the trout you've hooked. >:( Big cod can also be a problem. You can camp on the Brombey group just remember to get a permit from the NLC.

regards,
sheds.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2007, 01:41:07 PM
Mark - are we talking about serious fish (30kg+) and are the fish there in reasonable numbers? If there are big fish in good numbers, I'd be very interested in a trip/charter in this area. Is there anyone you can recommend who could get us onto these fish?

I've encountered a lot of smaller fish in the area from Melville Island to where you are describing with the odd big fish thrown in but if you know areas where there are good aggregations of bigger fish, I am very keen!!

Over the last 6 years of going to Gove for work we've identified a couple of reliable spots but all require boat access. Luckily, Gove/Nhulumbuy has a few sportfishing charters or you could buddy up with a local - just about everyone there has a boat of some description.
North of Bremer Island there's numerous pinnacles holding Big GT's as well as huge Macks, Barracoutta and good sized Northern Bluefin tuna. All will take a popper - you may or may not get it back  :D.
South of Cape Arnhem again has numerous pinnacles and work well when the tidal flow is strong - we've been almost scared to put a lure in the water down this way some of the fish are that big. :o Good jigging territory here if you wanted a feed of Reddies.
West of Melville bay are the Bromby Island Group, followed by the Wessels Group. The reefy flats adjoining the island passes always have large to unstopable GT's around - actually they can be a bit of a pain it you're targeting Coral Trout, either by beating the trout to the lure or by actually eating the trout you've hooked. >:( Big cod can also be a problem. You can camp on the Brombey group just remember to get a permit from the NLC.

regards,
sheds.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Savage

May 15, 2007, 02:26:09 PM
Brandon,
The pinnacles down past Cape Arnhem held fish that were near the meter mark so - 30-40kg? Basically beer kegs with fins. There were reasonable numbers - one trip they were worse than the sharks for taking hooked fish.

You could contact either Angling Adventures or Nomad Charters both have Island Camps which is a plus.
I haven't experienced either of these companies first hand due to having access to boats while i've been there, put i've heard good reports of both.

cheers

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2007, 05:45:04 PM
Mark - are we talking about serious fish (30kg+) and are the fish there in reasonable numbers? If there are big fish in good numbers, I'd be very interested in a trip/charter in this area. Is there anyone you can recommend who could get us onto these fish?

I've encountered a lot of smaller fish in the area from Melville Island to where you are describing with the odd big fish thrown in but if you know areas where there are good aggregations of bigger fish, I am very keen!!

regards,
sheds.

Let me know if you find out more info RE operators that can put you onto these GT's Brandon.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 15, 2007, 06:22:43 PM
As Neil once told me "Queensland is a popper fishermans oyster".

Just find the right environment mixed with the right conditions and you are set.

The other obvious one would be Exmouth - good cheap accommodation but getting there and lack of professional charters are a bitch...

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 15, 2007, 06:27:02 PM
The other obvious one would be Exmouth - good cheap accommodation but getting there and lack of professional charters are a bitch...

Getting there isn't the problem for me... it's the professional charters bit >:(

I should start my own business hehe

anthony rizzo

June 25, 2007, 08:10:00 PM
Hi, first post.

The whitsundays there are plenty of spots for big Gt's. Majority a boat is needed for access but on the right day there is some great  land based areas,
Any of the islands around whitsunday island and whitsunday passage are all worth a look just after low tide.

I am still learning as I am very new to this type of fishing.

AustralianAngling

June 27, 2007, 05:40:02 PM
RIBBON REEFS NORTH OF CAIRNS, north as far you want to go.

A bit of old video

http://www.australianangling.com.au/gallery/img/Movie2.wmv

These things love big poppers as well biggest weighed before release was 63kg