Mark Savage

Am i going in under-gunned?
May 15, 2007, 02:02:36 PM
Firstly, a bit of background - i'm mad for light tackle sportfishing most of my outfits are 4-6kg. I've manged some very good fish over the years 2 - 3X line class, including some 10-15kg GT's from Gove on 6 and 10kg spinning gear (probably a lot more luck than skill involved though - i've been smoked more often than not).
I have to point out i have a limited budget due to renovations - Last time on the way back through Darwin i found a Shimano T-Curve bluewater spin (7-6', 15-24kg) on sale, practically 2/3 price so i snapped it up. Hmmm i now need suitable 'budget' spinning reel - i did a bit of research and finally bought a Saltiga Blast 4500. It was a toss-up between that or a twin power. Filled it with PE4 Jigman.
The idea behind this set up was to have an all-rounder combo that i could use for a bit of bottom bouncing, jigging and chucking poppers at those trevors that have un-done me in the past.
I'm thinking that the current braid may be a bit OTT for casting if i'm looking at fish upto 25kg max - any bigger and they're liable to pull me out of the boat  ;D. would a spare spool with something like PE2 super castman be better?

Am i going in under-gunned? I guess i'll find out in Exmouth in a few weeks!

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Am i going in under-gunned?
May 15, 2007, 05:49:51 PM
Mark, it depends entirely on the area which you're fishing. If you're fishing in a really shallow nasty area, 25kg GTs will give you an absolute hammering even if you are fishing 100lb braid. At Shoalwater, all of us experienced being smashed by fish this size (and smaller) and we were fishing from 80lb to 130lb braid. Where you've got big currents, shallow water and nasty bommies, GTs are as tough as any fishing challenge.

If on the other hand you're fishing in completely open water, you could land a very big fish on 10kg line.

You're fishing PE4 and targeting GTs up to 25kgs. If there is any cover (reef, bommie, rocks etc) for the fish in the area you're fishing, I'd suggest you're actually heavily undergunned at the moment. With PE2, All I will say is good luck! I suppose you could do something I have always wanted to do but never done and that is free spool as soon as the fish is hooked and wait for it to swim into a clearer area before trying to fight it!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Savage

Re: Am i going in under-gunned?
May 16, 2007, 08:56:40 AM
Thanks mate, time will tell... ;D