lonhro

Night Fishing
April 30, 2007, 11:29:03 PM
Hi,
This is just a quick question ???
has anyone ever got a GT fishing of a Night???
and if so is there a special lure or is it a case of Lumo Beads ???
or something else ????

cheers RandalZ

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Night Fishing
May 01, 2007, 07:31:33 AM
fishing at night for GTs is a viable proposition as I know that a number of the guys out west do it. You'd be best to get an opinion from Hal or Che on this but from what I understand, they use normal poppers.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 01, 2007, 10:20:09 PM
I do my GT fishing at night simply because from the shore its their prime feeding times. I've also caught other fish using poppers at nite. Its not a very visual thing and doesnt need to. Your popper does most of the work already pushing water, so really its more so the action of the popper than the visual aspect of the lure. There's nothing really different than fishing during the day. Unless you are fishing the reefs from a boat then you gotta be more concern about the reef than the fish.
Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:21:41 PM by hon-su

Chris Jones

June 11, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
I've spent a lot of time popping for G's on the east coast around the whitsundays and had far far better results during the day - in fact I cant remember any G's after dark.

Yet on the NW coast they definitely have more luck at night. Different habitats and different habits - unfortunately there are no blanket rules in fishing.....

craig breadsell

June 11, 2009, 08:28:11 PM
I've fished a fair bit of the eastcoast and the whitsunday area and have caught GT's at night, however that is mainly in the lagoons out on the reef not around the islands. Never tried really hard its usually just for entertainment while having a beer after a long day. I have caught them in the lights both deck and underwater however more strikes have come in the zone between light and dark. 

Nicholas Moore

June 12, 2009, 08:41:54 PM
We do a heap of fishin in and around Mackay and The Whitsundays. We often do a lot of bait fishing off the Breakwaters at night chasing BIG jew. WE generally take our light popping rods for Big Eye Trevally which seem to congregate there regularly. This year there have been GT's in amongst them.. Really good fun on 20lb Braid and smaller poppers - especially when unexpected. :o

Sorry Photo Taken with phone.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 13, 2009, 02:11:33 AM
We've spent a little bit of time over here on the west coast popping at night. It certainly isn't as productive as during the day but when the conditions are right it can be good. I think a full moon is pretty much mandatory for night popping, GTs have bad eyesight at the best of times and you want to have as much light as possible. I beleive black poppers work well as they contrast well with the moonlight. I prefer bloopers over pencils as they have more presence in the water and are easier for the GTs to target, make sure you have long pauses in between bloops.