Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Another Mogi Special
August 31, 2009, 03:30:23 PM
Yer they do Luke,the commercial hoki boats down there bring the nets in and these beast are everywhere,Mat Watson the k1w1 stunt fisherman has caught them on a hand line in a small tinny,so anything is possible
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
August 31, 2009, 03:48:35 PM
Yer they do Luke,the commercial hoki boats down there bring the nets in and these beast are everywhere,Mat Watson the k1w1 stunt fisherman has caught them on a hand line in a small tinny,so anything is possible

Hi Cam,

What time of year is best?

Any other recommendations?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 31, 2009, 04:59:24 PM

haha yeah I've seen that vid, took them a loooong time before they hooked that fish though.

Definately would be awesome chasing those monsters on popping gear!  ;D

Shane Hartstone

September 01, 2009, 05:28:36 PM
Luke, the bigger fish are northern BFT.  The smaller Southern's are aparently around earlier, and are easier to hook on lures.  It's pretty much throw your hoki with a massive hook at the side of the trawler, and watch it get hoovered.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 01, 2009, 06:47:35 PM
Luke, the bigger fish are northern BFT.  The smaller Southern's are aparently around earlier, and are easier to hook on lures.  It's pretty much throw your hoki with a massive hook at the side of the trawler, and watch it get hoovered.

Hi Shane and Cam,

What would be the best way to organize an attempt?

What time of year are the bigger fish around?

Very serious about a good stab at these beasts - Yumeye max spools at the ready.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 01, 2009, 06:53:17 PM
Hi Luke ,

Apparently Kenji-san just returned from fishing the same spot , check this : http://www.carpenter.ne.jp/test%20tyoukou%20report/2009.08.9.nz-maguro.htm , look at the date , it's just early last month !

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 08:06:37 AM

haha yeah I've seen that vid, took them a loooong time before they hooked that fish though.

Definately would be awesome chasing those monsters on popping gear!  ;D
I have seen a similar vid where they chase them on 24 or 37kg stand up gear. There's a timer that starts when they hook up, and some go to the 10hour mark only to lose the fish boat side!! Lot of work to get busted off after that long. They do land a couple round the 200kg mark

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 09:23:25 AM

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 09:58:53 AM
Do these SBFT make an appearance during the day - I would like to throw popper/stickbait.

They a actually NBFT.
Check out this link Luke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INNjt_N6Hew#noexternalembed

At that was on 60kg Stand-up... still want to try one on a popper/stickbait ;D
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 10:00:30 AM
Do these SBFT make an appearance during the day - I would like to throw popper/stickbait.

They a actually NBFT.

Yeah I do :)

Willing to get punished and walk away with nothing - but still want to try  8)

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 10:33:42 AM
Here is a quote from the email of a lucky angler from August 2007. Also a photo of the beastie.

"This is the big one (Pacific Bluefin Tuna) - a pending all-tackle world record and a NZ/IGFA world record in the 60kg line class.

It weighed 325kg, and was caught on a Hoki dead bait. Fight lasted 2.5 hours, bent and broke the game chair as well as me (can barely walk today).

We were 60 miles offshore from Westport and found the fish under the Russian and Kiwi Hoki trawlers. Hooked a total of 8 fish in 24 hours - lost 5 to gear failure!!!!!!!!! - landed 3 and kept 1.

Fish is to be stuffed - so will need to build a new house to handle it or loan it to a good fishing club.

Fantastic fishing for such a short period of time."

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 11:31:43 AM
Here is a quote from the email of a lucky angler from August 2007. Also a photo of the beastie.

"This is the big one (Pacific Bluefin Tuna) - a pending all-tackle world record and a NZ/IGFA world record in the 60kg line class.

It weighed 325kg, and was caught on a Hoki dead bait. Fight lasted 2.5 hours, bent and broke the game chair as well as me (can barely walk today).

We were 60 miles offshore from Westport and found the fish under the Russian and Kiwi Hoki trawlers. Hooked a total of 8 fish in 24 hours - lost 5 to gear failure!!!!!!!!! - landed 3 and kept 1.

Fish is to be stuffed - so will need to build a new house to handle it or loan it to a good fishing club.

Fantastic fishing for such a short period of time."

Now that is a serious Tuna, Luke the Yumeya will be a definite along with a short broomstick popping rod and possibly your chiropractor. Look forward to a video.
Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:48:13 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Dave Schmidt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 02, 2009, 06:18:36 PM

They a actually NBFT.

NO MERCY :o :o

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 03, 2009, 09:59:34 AM
[

They a actually NBFT.

Top video, I love the speculations of broadbill v's monster tuna etc at the end. Awesome effort, brutal stuff..

David..

Shane Hartstone

September 03, 2009, 10:44:09 AM
Luke, the best time of year is now.  The boat in the link above is Enchanter, Lance is the skipper and he is the best man for the job.  Your trip is very weather dependent, and there is every chance you will be tied up to the wharf for your week there.  The Greymouth bar will scare the crap out of you, its one of the worst in NZ.  You ask about when the bigger fish are there?  You want the smaller fish if you are entertaining any kind of shot at landing one on popper or jig tackle.  Mogi got spooled once, and landed his second fish, est. 250kg, and thats a smaller NBFT.

Personally I have not traveled down to chase these monsters, as the actual hookup of the tuna requires no angler skill, but if a like minded crew was keen to try on poppers or jigs, I'm keen as.  But I think it would be the SBFT would be the better targets.  They are only about 150kg...