Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: setting drags
June 08, 2007, 01:13:45 PM
I set mine with the scale at home, but in the field found when the fish hit too close to me it was hard to keep control tettering on the edge of a rock and have had to back the drag off. So, I will set it at home with the scales and missues, but do prefer to back it off slightly in the field. There is less margin for error on the rocks, and swimming is the end result after being dragged across barnacles..then I would really look like a wounded fish aka stickbait

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2007, 02:47:30 PM
okay - well, to do that, you will need one of those spring loaded scales with a weight marker that will stay in place on the weight is released. Neil, I am sure you stock those so if you have a picture of one, that would probably be useful. You will need the aid of another person unless you can attach the scale to a fixed point. The idea is to pull to a weight you can actually manage - make sure it is one you can manage and not one that will have you water skiing. 

Once you've established the weight you can manage, you can continue to set the drag this way everytime or another option is if you get a terrific little device made by Bouz. This attatches simply onto the line and you can take the weight measurement yourself.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2007, 03:48:21 PM
Hard to find
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2007, 04:05:41 PM
well, the Bouz drag checker isn't available in Oz as far as I am aware but it is not difficult to obtain.

Neil Griffiths

June 08, 2007, 04:28:12 PM
It is available now, but quite expensive around the $180 mark.
I have heard some questions about it's accuracy as well but we could level that critiscism against most hand scales I suppose.

[img width= height=]http://www.shimanofish.com.au/media/images/fishing/SAUS/ProductImages/Accessories/301x167/ScaleGen_v1_m56577569830578747.jpg[/img]

Scale looks like this.

Neil

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2007, 06:21:31 PM
Hell of a lot cheaper than a Bouz!

[img width= height=]http://www.shimanofish.com.au/media/images/fishing/SAUS/ProductImages/Accessories/301x167/ScaleGen_v1_m56577569830578747.jpg[/img]

Scale looks like this.

Neil