jay currie

Spit Bombie Cords
February 19, 2010, 10:47:43 AM
I know I have asked before but I never got an answer still chasing gps mark for spit bombie and other spots of fraser. I am hoping to have a new 6.75m centre consol by june and am trying to work out how much of a journey it is to the Gt spots of Fraser Island

Thanks

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spit Bombie Cords
February 19, 2010, 11:01:14 AM
I know I have asked before but I never got an answer still chasing gps mark for spit bombie and other spots of fraser. I am hoping to have a new 6.75m centre consol by june and am trying to work out how much of a journey it is to the Gt spots of Fraser Island

Thanks

If you budget to go to the end of SPIT - you will find it. Trust me it's a loooooooooooooooooooong way. No longer rendered on Google Earth.

It's roughly 30 - 40km one way from Roonies to the TIP of the spit - unless you cross the bar early (fishing other spots or jigging etc)

What fuel capacity do you have?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 19, 2010, 11:08:07 AM
Although you can do the trip in a trailer boat - i'd only ever do it in the calmest of calms with less than 10 knots of wind. The fuel is one of the biggest challenges even in a larger boat which is one of the main concerns considering ALL the spots are at least 40km from sheltered waters - and given the extremity of the place - conditions blow up and can blow up bad. Just keep this in mind.

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 19, 2010, 07:42:24 PM
How did you get there Luke? Who did you go with?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2010, 08:58:23 PM
Jesus, you'd be a brave man to go out there in a tralierboat.
I've been out there before when the game-boat I was in couldn't cross the spit.
Conditions there can change quite quickly and it is a long way home.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 19, 2010, 11:12:12 PM
I think George goes there solo  ???
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 20, 2010, 08:04:55 AM
George, aka "Pang Max"  ;) fishes solo quite a bit, he knows his limits too and will only fish it in the right conditions. To give you an idea of the run up there.... Rooney's is half way  :o I could get you the cords off a mate up HB if your really keen. Pretty sure he wont go unless the rig is at least 8m and fast

jay currie

February 20, 2010, 07:53:57 PM
The boat is a 6.75m Hooker centre console It has 400L tank and is very fast with 225 suzy on the back. I only plan on going if conditions are perfict and was thinking of camping at roonies. Fuel should be no probs the Hooker gets about well at 26 knots only using 14L an hour.

Do you have to cross the bar?

I also have access to a mothership if need but at a price
Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:58:10 PM by jay currie

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 20, 2010, 08:15:15 PM
The boat is a 6.75m Hooker centre console It has 400L tank and is very fast with 225 suzy on the back. I only plan on going if conditions are perfict and was thinking of camping at roonies. Fuel should be no probs the Hooker gets about well at 26 knots only using 14L an hour.

Do you have to cross the bar?

I also have access to a mothership if need but at a price

You don't have to cross the bar if you go right to the top. There are several shifting channels which can be navigated before the end - best to utilize local information for this.

We use roughly 90 litres of fuel in a 260hp Yanmar diesel just getting to Roonies. You'll obviously conserve a lot of fuel if you just cruise but the temptation to gun it is often irresistable. You need to remember that you will be travelling at least 80km just going back and forth each day from the end of the spit. We took 600 litres of fuel and still struggled to safely fit in 3 fishing days - general statement to take in as we did a lot of moving around.

Either way - plan wisely! If the weather blows up it would be wise to turn back or half your projected mileage for the trip.

jay currie

February 20, 2010, 08:36:34 PM
Thanks Luke Im also trying to get as many points for spots on the way to spit bombie so we can fish on the way.

I know what you mean about gunning it I chase tuna alot around rooneys and have come very close not making it back due to driving flat out when sighting working birds and tuna

I am in the process of trying to sell my house in order to move to Maryborough and the boat I am getting will be in Charter by a local Charter operator for in the Bay. So will only be 30mins from Hervey Bay, so I will have no trouble with picking good weather just stay home when crap and go when perfect

Vic Levett

February 24, 2010, 06:27:12 PM
14 litres at 26 knots ????? are u sure about those figures . Ive got a 225 honda and we use double that and we only pushing 6.8metres of boat at 20 knots . If that is right u have a range of around 800 miles and at  26 knots you would be flying .  Imagine your range if u travelled at a modest 20 knots .Id check that consumption before u leave .