Kurt Carlson

Re: Yellowtail GT????
May 05, 2010, 07:35:41 PM
Since we identifying Trevally here, what is this one.  Caught while jigging in about 100m.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
May 06, 2010, 09:53:25 PM
Kurt, that looks like a Black Trevally, Caranx Lugubris. Usually found in deep water but rarely seen in shallows, that one in your pic has a huge second dorsal, cool fish ;)

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
May 06, 2010, 10:23:01 PM
Stephen,
Now thats what we call a Gold Spot in Central Queensland, quite a narrow fish, half way between a GT and a Queenfish in thickness..... not particularly welcome when the expectation is a 6kg red.

ahh yes, but one of those can turn into several 6kg reds under the right circumstances  ;)
Cairns Bommie Basher

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2010, 03:07:27 PM
Haha, no need to gloat Graham, the floor of my boat has never looked like that!!!  Though the Turrum in my pic was turned into this...
Cairns Bommie Basher

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 19, 2010, 10:10:58 PM
I'm with Steve. In this neck of the woods (and I think it's in Grants Guide to fishes) the Gold Spot trevally is a Turrum. The one at the start of this thread is a Brassy Trevally, very similar to a GT but with the yellowish fins and longer body etc. Here's a pic of both,

first the Gold Spot

This  next one is a Brassy around 15 kilos

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 21, 2010, 04:55:19 PM
Let's not denegrate the thread boys.

I would have to agree it's a pretty tasteless picture given the spirit of this forum!

No more responses please.