Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Where are we going to fish?
August 17, 2010, 01:26:47 PM
For that matter, I dont even think Green voters have a bloody clue what the Greens actually stand for.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Robert. I think most greens voters just don't like either party and so see them as the only real viable alternative. It is something the Greens play up on well. I was reading some surveys recently where a number of younger people basically said 'I don't want to vote labour or liberal so will vote Green'

Simple as that.

For people who are trying to make a protest vote or whatever, it is a remarkably ignorant thing to do.

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 19, 2010, 04:43:56 PM
I told myself I wouldn't say anything..... :(

If you think it makes any difference what an opposition politician says think again.
Any politician will promise say anything to get votes. They then find new and novel ways to change their minds.

So whats a promise? Well according to the last Liberal Prime minister there are promises & "Core" promises  :o ???
This means you can make a promise but then relegate it to the non core promise which seems to mean it ceases to be a promise.
This present government is no better  :-\ Making a deal with the greens....thats following good labor traditions.....NOT.

If you want to do something then organize a High Court challenge to the "above the line voting" in the Senate. Most legal opinion is that the voting system would be turfed out. Something to do with people are required to make a choice but above the line voting its felt that a political party is making that choice.

But wait...wouldn't the major parties want that?

Well no actually. That means there would be a real toss of the dice and lots of independents would  get into the Senate. We would then have people like Brian Harridine (who I personally dislike) but at least he stood up and was counted when it came to things he was passionate about and things that affected Tasmania. He also took a measured view on subjects he wasn't personally concerned with, tending to cast his vote taking into account the wider community views.

The greens are just a loose coalition of independents and don't usually have uniform policy except on some core environmental issues and should receive votes accordingly. The above the line voting makes it more likely they will get numbers at the expense of independents.

I personally  disagree with the fact that some small group with 14% of the vote can have such undue influence.

In the Australian implementation of the Westminster system as envisaged in our constitution, the senate was supposed to look after the interests of the states, but in their own self interests the large political parties have insured that it is party political aligned.

We now have the prospect of a small political party having what I consider is an undue influence on national issues. With fishing most greens seem to have "none is best" attitude. They do not fish themselves, they do not have to rely on votes from fishermen or hunters. Their policies don't have to even make any sense, they just make a preference deal with labor.

It seems to me we have arrived at the stage where politicians have absolutely no personal integrity. It doesn't matter what the vast majority want, it has become all about pushing their own self interest.

Bob Brown stated publicly he disagreed with the deal made by the greens but it still remains leader because if he resigned he misses out on all that publicity and all those preference votes. Somehow I think that really says something about his personal integrity.

In the Senate vote below the line & take the time to find out who each candidate is about. Select independents that support proper processes before deciding policies.

Well, the larger political parties have now insured that Australia will become almost un governable in the near future with deals and money deciding policies.

I gotta throw that soap box away.... :-[ :-[ :-[
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 20, 2010, 09:46:34 AM
For that matter, I dont even think Green voters have a bloody clue what the Greens actually stand for.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Robert. I think most greens voters just don't like either party and so see them as the only real viable alternative. It is something the Greens play up on well. I was reading some surveys recently where a number of younger people basically said 'I don't want to vote labour or liberal so will vote Green'

Simple as that.

For people who are trying to make a protest vote or whatever, it is a remarkably ignorant thing to do.

Absolutely SPOT ON Scott.

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
August 21, 2010, 08:14:13 PM
There's hope for us !!!!!!!!

Tony Busscher

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 22, 2010, 02:19:26 AM
Hi all its 2.15 am   the government is in a hang Parliament  it all will properly come down to a few faceless men how don't belong to any real party as sutch ,and they will properly go with the best deal .So lets hope they don't go with labour greens .  cheers

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
August 22, 2010, 10:25:19 AM
Watch all the dodgy deals that come out now ...

Peter Agapiou

August 23, 2010, 08:24:59 AM
Mate of mine from the USA,said to look out for P.E.T.A and H.S.U.S they are on the move .Also  i thing there will a lot of fishing people moving form VIC/TAS to Queensland

Darren Cook

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
August 25, 2010, 08:17:50 AM
It seems Fishers are being heard by some.....

An article in the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/are-seas-the-new-green-battlegounds-20100823-13hef.html#comments