Marcio Paes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best season at 3 Kings (NZ)?
September 01, 2010, 05:42:46 AM
Hi All,

Please forgive me for my bad English. I’m a Brazilian angler.

This year (around march, 20) I had a lot of fun fishing for 3 days at Thee Kings and could catch a lot of fish. But, unfortunately, we count find any fish (Yellowtail Kingfish) bigger than (around) 30kg (and just three fishes around this measure).

Initially we planned to fish 6 full days at the island, but after 3 days, we also had the bad luck to face 15/20 knots of wind and a very bad weather.

I may back to NZ next year to try again. That’s why I would like to ask for the experts jigging and poppers anglers (at this forum) who really know well the Three Kings (NZ) area.

a) When the weather is more predictable and stable to plan this popping and jigging expedition?

b)What should be the best period of the year (one or two best months) to have a reasonable chance to find and catch some (not just one or two or thee) huge (around 30/35/40kg) YT by jiggnig?

c) And how about the surface (popers and sticks)? Is it the same season?

So. Please help me to understand the best months to try popping and jigging for huge Kingfish at 3 Kings.

Best regards,

Marcio.

Mark Armistead

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Best season at 3 Kings (NZ)?
September 01, 2010, 06:44:59 PM
Hi Marcio
best season to head up to the Three Kings islands is March through to May. There tends to be more boats up there April and May. I have done a few trips there and have found April and May have been productive. This is a  good time of the year to have a carck at a monster class yellowtail kingfish.
Weather can always be unpredictable up there 25 knots of wind can be pretty much standard but sometimes you get lucky and have glassy calm weather.
If you are keen i am organising a couple more trips up there this year on a good charter boat, one trip will be mainly top water fishing with a little bit of jigging and the other will more likely be more focused on jigging.
This year we had an amazing trip up with several 30+ kg fish caught including a couple on stick baits and one angler even managed a true trophy a 46 kg yellowtail kingfish.
PM me if you are keen to know more
Mark

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 02, 2010, 07:24:39 AM
Wow a 46kg Kingy.... what gear was he using to pull that cracken out of the deep? Thanks crazy.

Chris

Marcio Paes

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 07, 2010, 12:56:48 AM
Thanks very much Mark.

March was the month we were there (3K) this year... despite the great trip (very professional)... I guess we had no luck to find the huges ones...

Could you send me some information about this charter boat?

[email protected]

Best regards,

Marcio.